Crispi Highland Pro - anybody tried?

cyclonenation10

I am a big fan of my crispi boots for bird hunting here in Iowa (have used the Guide GTX the last couple of years). They are not cheap, but I believe you get what you pay for, and with hundreds of miles each Fall, they are well worth it IMO.

However, after a year or so, despite constant waterproofing, my boots tend to get a little leaky (as it seems all these leather boots do). Would like to have something to wear in marshes, wet days, or those really damp "dewey" mornings that will keep my feet dry. I am not a big fan of the gaiters I have tried, they seem to be a pain and pick up a lot of junk walking. These boots in theory seem like the perfect solution (albeit at a pretty hefty price tag).

Anybody have any experience with these?? https://www.crispius.com/highland-pro-gtx

1661965500679.png

Lacrosse makes several different styles of rubber boots that fit tight around the ankles that are great for walking the pheasant grounds. Try a few pairs on and you might be surprised.

I am a big fan of my crispi boots for bird hunting here in Iowa (have used the Guide GTX the last couple of years). They are not cheap, but I believe you get what you pay for, and with hundreds of miles each Fall, they are well worth it IMO.

However, after a year or so, despite constant waterproofing, my boots tend to get a little leaky (as it seems all these leather boots do).
Wow, I can't believe the GTX leak water after a year. I'd casually thought about getting some just from all the constant internet chat. I've had two pair of irish setter wingshooters and neither one of them has ever got leaky, putting them through about 30 long days in the field each year. The other thing is when I walk tilled fields, I picture the aggressive tread on some of these highly touted upland boots picking up a lot of mud. Great for side hilling chukars out west, climbing mountains for Montezuma quail, or attempting to shoot a sasquatch partridge off the top of mount everest, but not so much for hunting the sloughs and cropland of the upper midwest. *

*This is just my humble opinion, and I'm sure crispy, kenntrek, meindl, and heindl are all great european $500 boots

The other thing is when I walk tilled fields, I picture the aggressive tread on some of these highly touted upland boots picking up a lot of mud.
We both might be surprised at how little mud those boots pick up. I've thought the same thing. That was until I was told Irish Setter Elk Tracker 885's would make a great pheasant boot. It didn't take a genius to tell they were unbelievably comfortable. But that super aggressive soul. It was my only reservation, but the guy said I'd be amazed. He was right. Most comfortable boot I've ever owned, & they don't pick up tons of mud. 🤷‍♂️ Of course soon after I fell in love, they were discontinued. 😠

I’m a b

However, after a year or so, despite constant waterproofing, my boots tend to get a little leaky (as it seems all these leather boots do). Would like to have something to wear in marshes, wet days, or those really damp "dewey" mornings that will keep my feet dry. I am not a big fan of the gaiters I have tried, they seem to be a pain and pick up a lot of junk walking. These boots in theory seem like the perfect solution (albeit at a pretty hefty price tag).

Anybody have any experience with these?? https://www.crispius.com/highland-pro-gtx

View attachment 3898
I’m a 10 year crispi fan but these are a pretty extreme, they just look to be way to much boot for 98% of days. I hear you are not a fan of gaiters but I match the the crispi Thor gtx with a set of kuiu gaiters and I’m more than happy. Good luck with your choice!

Is you boot leaking , or is water transferring from a wet pant leg onto you socks thus causing you to think they leak? I agree with quailnerd as I run lowa boots with FL bramble gaiters in the early season and then my meindl boots and gaiter in late season and I never have wet feet.

Kick!

Is you boot leaking , or is water transferring from a wet pant leg onto you socks thus causing you to think they leak? I agree with quailnerd as I run lowa boots with FL bramble gaiters in the early season and then my meindl boots and gaiter in late season and I never have wet feet.

Kick!
I think this is probably the case, however, going on year 2 i was able to wear a hole in my crispi's leather, so they are leaking now.

Either you are really hard on boots or those aren't worth the price (in my opinion). My dad was a commercial plumber for 30 years and always working on concrete, up and down ladders, kneeling down, etc and a pair of his $150 leather red wing work boots lasted a year with 40 hours a week abuse. I would question if those boots are worth the money (again, my opinion).

My Meindls cost me about $200 and have lasted 4 or 5 years now (maybe longer? Time flies) and are holding up great and I wear them all year. Pheasant, turkey, fishing and as a work boot on my land.

If I buy boots I intend to use for pheasant hunting, I will want a protective toe-cap on them or I will "paint" the toes with that plastic/rubber tool handle dip. It seems that good bird cover will eat through leather boot toes quickly. I even do that on these nylon/fabric type of boot toes to help them last longer.

If I buy boots I intend to use for pheasant hunting, I will want a protective toe-cap on them or I will "paint" the toes with that plastic/rubber tool handle dip. It seems that good bird cover will eat through leather boot toes quickly. I even do that on these nylon/fabric type of boot toes to help them last longer.
I hadn't thought of the tool dip stuff. I've alway bought TuffToe...it extends the life of a pair of boots (toes) by a couple years. I apply it on the boots before they get oiled/waxed.

Back