Crazy weather

Springer22

I know everyone’s been talking about this but man, this weather is nuts. Going to be 50 degrees today end of January. All week and the extended forecast are wild too.

I do secretly kind of like it and it’s nice for driving in, that is for sure. The yard is currently a mud pit though, I think my springer has torn all the grass up from doing her laps. Dog is filthy.

Rough winter if you like to ski, snowmobile, or ice fish.

Get your boat ready for spring.

Heard a couple golf courses may be opening this week!

Hoping the birds are eating well and getting ready for a possible late season blast...or we could just roll into spring! I am in Iowa, we are upper 30s today and 40s for the next 10 days...so say the weather psychics

This mild winter may help the pheasants but some of the slough that I hunt waterfowl has been hurting. Either way, I’m looking forward to 2024 season.

One issue forming is the ground will likely no longer be unfrozen or the frost line so shallow it will fade quickly.

In the spring ... the ground is frozen ... a quick snow melt results in very efficient recharge of the wetlands because most of the water runs to the lowest spot vs. being absorbed by the soil! This may not happen even if we get significant snow in March.

The removal of wetlands is in-part why rivers flood more often. The wetlands used to capture the excess run-off and slow the process down .... now it is melt water to drain tile - to ditch - to bigger ditch - to stream to river ... boom.

One issue forming is the ground will likely no longer be unfrozen or the frost line so shallow it will fade quickly.

In the spring ... the ground is frozen ... a quick snow melt results in very efficient recharge of the wetlands because most of the water runs to the lowest spot vs. being absorbed by the soil! This may not happen even if we get significant snow in March.

The removal of wetlands is in-part why rivers flood more often. The wetlands used to capture the excess run-off and slow the process down .... now it is melt water to drain tile - to ditch - to bigger ditch - to stream to river ... boom.
Good explanation.

Not sure why but I do have a feeling it’s going to be a very wet spring.

Metro did get 2+ inches of rain in late December. That would have been a couple feet of snow.

It is really muddy out there right now.

Send the rain south if you have too much this spring....we will need quite a bit to get our subsoil recharged here locally.

As mentioned already a lot of the marsh and sloughs get recharged by snow melt. Doesn’t look that’s going to happen this year.

You never know when a biblical flood will pop up. Then when the duck pond is full of water and fowl next year you'll think it's the second best thing to dyin' and goin' to heaven.

Metro did get 2+ inches of rain in late December.
A large portion of the entire state received significant rain on Christmas. Many areas just west of the Twin Cities got 3+ inches. Which would have been about 3 feet of snow if it was colder.

7.3 inches of snow is the official tally at MSP this winter for snow fall. Which is about 24 inches behind the norm at this point and a whopping 45 inches behind last year. But because of that rain on Christmas, we're actually ahead on overall moisture.

You never know when a biblical flood will pop up.
While that is true, a flood or heavy rain generally is not enough to dig out of drought. Drought takes time to develop and it takes time to reduce or eliminate. One big rain might recharge lakes and rivers, but it won't recharge groundwater or soil moisture. What you really need is a consistent wet pattern where you get slow-moving systems that drop rain for a day at a time, over and over.

You joke, but I actually ran the mower over the backyard in late December. We have a tree that had a very late leaf drop and I wanted the leaves off the grass.

Ran the snow blower on 2.5" of snow in January just to run it and know it is ready if a big heavy snow occurs before end of winter.

My snowblower is sitting in the corner of the garage with a flat tire and gas still in it from last year. That old Ariens starts everytime though. I shoveled once and used my leaf blower once for snow this year, and that probably wasn’t even necessary.

Couldn’t get a tee time at a decent time today, try again tomorrow.

Not a golfer but did do some slap-shot hockey puck sporting clay shooting today. Perfect t shirt weather!

Back