Crate temperature monitor.

Having a Suburban with 2 crates inside, I worry about the temp inside while Im out of it instead of while traveling. Sometimes its impossible to leave one dog behind. Any ideas to monitor inside temp while a mile away from the truck?
I’m guessing your Sunurban would need some type of WiFi or internet. With that you could use a home type temperature monitor much like people do for cabins or snowbirds do for their homes when they are south for the winter.

Ordered a Gunner crate for my truck. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good temperature monitor set up? Not too worried about the cold, but would love to be able to monitor for the heat. Thank you.
you're right: the heat is the worry and is what kills dogs

When I first bought my DeerCreek box I bought a Lacrosse indoor/outdoor thermostat and placed the sensor in the box. It lasted a couple years and then quit. By then I had a Garmin Astro so I bought a Garmin Tempe but it only lasted a couple of years as well. What I learned was I didn’t need to worry, it never got to hot or to cold in the occupied dog box.

I use a normal outdoor thermometer zip tied on the kennel door. Mine is thermpro brand. Its not instant read, updates every 30 seconds or a minute i believe.

Honest question... how many people have had or personally know of a dog that has been too hot or too cold while in a kennel while in a vehicle? I am not sure how everyone kept their dogs safe before these modern technologies. I have a 2 dog patriot dog box and carry it both under a topper and and in an open truck bed. I have noticed that if I plan to keep my dog overnight in the back of the truck, it really does not matter how cold it is, I better open the window of the topper, or the condensation is crazy. The dog has never seemed cold or hot when I let her out. She just jumps out and goes about her business.

Honest question... how many people have had or personally know of a dog that has been too hot or too cold while in a kennel while in a vehicle? I am not sure how everyone kept their dogs safe before these modern technologies. I have a 2 dog patriot dog box and carry it both under a topper and and in an open truck bed. I have noticed that if I plan to keep my dog overnight in the back of the truck, it really does not matter how cold it is, I better open the window of the topper, or the condensation is crazy. The dog has never seemed cold or hot when I let her out. She just jumps out and goes about her business.
I'm sure many had their dogs in too hot of temps without knowing. Dogs can't tell us "christ it's hot in here" so until they get into dangerous, fatal territory where you're seeing them getting heat stroke, you'd never really know it.

I don't know of any dogs personally but we've all read about children being left in vehicles and I assume a dog wouldn't fair any better. I know the temps inside a vehicle can go up quickly on a warm day. I found an article on the issue fwiw.

Most people apply common sense and the sensors are more for my piece of mind, more than anything when I am hunting and have to leave a dog in the truck. I am planning on traveling more this year to hunt and going for longer periods of time and having actual temps in the kennels will be useful information for me so I can focus on other things or prevent a problem.

Last edited:
I'm sure many had their dogs in too hot of temps without knowing. Dogs can't tell us "christ it's hot in here" so until they get into dangerous, fatal territory where you're seeing them getting heat stroke, you'd never really know it.
I couldn’t agree more. Once most people don’t recognize over heating until its too late.

I have used this for the past 3 years and replace the batteries once a year. I stuck some velcro on the back of the transmitter and it sticks to the carpet in my camper shell. I keep the readout on my dash in my truck so I can constantly monitor the temperatures.

View attachment 8020
I have the same unit. Zip tie the sensor to the inside of the create and cover the create with a 3x6ft cargo blanket, after the temps get down into the low forties.

I used my Sensorpush for the first time at a hunt test this past weekend. Worked perfectly. Outside temp was in the mid to high 70's. Temp inside the kennel in my truck bed with a cap, was over 90. There was a trainer with an Ainley kennel in the back of his truck next to me. I was really curious what the temps were inside his insulated box. They are nice looking boxes.

I used my Sensorpush for the first time at a hunt test this past weekend. Worked perfectly. Outside temp was in the mid to high 70's. Temp inside the kennel in my truck bed with a cap, was over 90. There was a trainer with an Ainley kennel in the back of his truck next to me. I was really curious what the temps were inside his insulated box. They are nice looking boxes.
Did you keep your dog in that kennel?

Did you keep your dog in that kennel?
Not a chance. He was inside the truck in the A/C with me. I just wanted to experiment and make sure the sensor worked. I bought a sun shield tarp I'm going to put over the cap of the truck this weekend, to see what type of temp reduction that would provide on a sunny day. I am thinking about running a fan on the kennel at the same time.....all without the dog in the kennel.....just to get a better idea of what is going on back there on warmer days.

Not a chance. He was inside the truck in the A/C with me. I just wanted to experiment and make sure the sensor worked. I bought a sun shield tarp I'm going to put over the cap of the truck this weekend, to see what type of temp reduction that would provide on a sunny day. I am thinking about running a fan on the kennel at the same time.....all without the dog in the kennel.....just to get a better idea of what is going on back there on warmer days.
Gotcha.. I was like that's a little warm.

Back