CP38E -- Kansas

southernblues

So my dad and I are meeting the District's Wildlife Biologist on the 22nd. We are going to walk our farm and come up with a game plan and possibly CP38E application.

Has any on you Kansasee's taken part in this program? We have about 300 acres in Allen County (which is a target area for them), about 200 in tillable cropland and 100 in pasture/meadow/timber. Excite about the potential it could help bring back our historic bird.

Here's the doc that covers it all:

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/KS/Outgoing/Web_Files/Programs/KTC/091207_att2.pdf

So had the meeting, walk through (good lawd it was hot. we walked 250 acres between 1-3pm today...heat index was 110, things we'll do to increase the habitat!) and feel really good about it.

Biologist said that we had some good habitat, 70 acres of native grasses, shrubs and "get away cover" water, food source, etc. Where the CP33/38 will help is some smaller tillable fields (5-10 acres) that have not done traditionally well with crops yet surrounded by ideal habitat.

Headed back to USDA office where my dad (his name is on title but letting me run with this project) met up with us. Surprisingly he is really gung ho and ready to amp our family land into prime quail heaven. Next step is meeting with the folks who rent for farming and get their input/concurrence on what we will be doing, get a firm plan around the buffer areas and then write up contracts. Probably won't sign until fall as you have 6 months grace period to implement and will be planting next spring. We do have about 40 acres in fescue that we will try and sign up under the WHIP program and get it into native grasses as well.

Couple of interesting notes in my conversation with the biologist, in his humble opinion:

1. Hawks are half good/half bad for quail. Helping keep snakes, mice, field rodents out of the nesting areas....
2. CP33/38 is in fact increasing the quail population based on monitoring
3. KS is in it's 3rd wave of federal acreage allotment. Started out with 30k available for the program in 2002, added another 15k and now on their 3rd extension of about 10k acres.

Back