Cornerstone Gundog Academy

A friend referred me to this program/system. I am not paid by them, but signed up and bought there 52 plus program for my new lab. I am in week 11 with my 5 month old puppy. I like that each week has a plan and there are four videos for each week along with a lesson plan. They have lots for free content, and a great podcast (build from here with Josh Parvin). It is more focused for waterfowl than upland but as we all know alot transfers. Anyone else using them?

I haven't heard of this program but every successful trainer I know follows a structured program, including myself. I was fortunate enough to have been mentored & guided by two pros when I trained my first lab so developed my program based on their teachings. Sounds like your program is like having the pros right there with you as you learn and your pup learn, you to be a trainer and the pup how to train. I'm very interested to see how your pup turns out.

Two things you can take to the bank, no matter the program: First, rock solid OB is the foundation of all training, if my pup has an issue with a task, I go back and re-visit the closest corresponding OB. Second is not to hurry the pup or lock into a time frame for advancement. In other words, do not move on to the next task until I was 110% sure the pup knew, understood, and could perform the current task w/o any issues...

I have been involved in a few discussions concerning CGA but have not actually used it. Most of the discussion has revolved around the $1200 price tag, and English style of training. If it works for you that’s all that matters. However I would caution against falling into a timeline and moving to quickly as all dogs will stumble on some skill sets.
For me personally I can get more bang for my buck from Bill Hillman, membership to a couple Retriever clubs, and an occasional 1 on 1 with a local pro. But I have trained a few dogs to Master Hunter level.

I have been involved in a few discussions concerning CGA but have not actually used it. Most of the discussion has revolved around the $1200 price tag, and English style of training. If it works for you that’s all that matters. However I would caution against falling into a timeline and moving to quickly as all dogs will stumble on some skill sets.
For me personally I can get more bang for my buck from Bill Hillman, membership to a couple Retriever clubs, and an occasional 1 on 1 with a local pro. But I have trained a few dogs to Master Hunter level.
One on one with a local pro and/or a retriever club seems awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have anything close to me and many others don't. Not sure about the moving to fast, it seems to move to slow for me. If you are referring to 52 plus, it is weekly schedule, but it is only recommended to move to the next week if you are ready. Basic program is $600 and 52 plus is $1000, which is a lot of money but then again compared to what, I trained my last dog with Game Dog by Wolters for free from the public library but she had her limits (cheap). Many pay a pro trainer (expensive) and I don't know that cost. HOWEVER, the main reason I started the topic is so dog owners know of this option, not to sell it.

Not to nit pick but the 52 week program is $1200 actually $1197. My source being the website link you posted.

Back