Corn dog stick

Labman

The last few days have been something else. My wife and 5 year old daughter left a corn dog out in the living room, well, the next morning stick and all were gone. My Black Lab Dakota had eaten it. Well, more like just swallowed the whole thing. After 1 emergency visit, 2 regular vet visits, and $700 dollars later, we did x-rays, which won't show a wooden stick, but might show something atleast, the doctor did an endoscopy, running a camera and tool down her throat. Took 5 days, seeing if this would just pass through her system, but I had a bad feeling and knew just by watching her that it was lodged in her throat. He wasn't sure I was right, but when he called me with the news, he said, "you called it", the stick didn't have a chew mark on it, and it was lodged in the esophogus right before entering the stomach. Stressful 4-5 days, but she is good to go now. Needless to say, it was an accident that my wife and daughter left that laying out there, but I still was not happy about what we had to go through just because of a corn dog stick. Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

Last edited:
Not personally, but one of my buddies has a lab aswell and last year his ate 4 golf balls out of his bag. He didnt find out about it until the dog started actin weird, took him to the vet and got a xray, and there they were. My lab hasnt ate anything too bad yet, but they do have the tendency to put everything and anything in their mouths lol

Not personally, but one of my buddies has a lab as well and last year his ate 4 golf balls out of his bag. He didn't find out about it until the dog started actin weird, took him to the vet and got a xray, and there they were. My lab hasn't ate anything too bad yet, but they do have the tendency to put everything and anything in their mouths lol
Yep, AA Battery's, and beer caps. Friends have had rocks in the gut, stuffing from cushions that white filler stuff, ect. It sucks when you go through it. I make sure I always have hydrogen peroxide on hand to make them vomit, and most times they will up chuck it, including poison. Glad to here your dog is OK. I also practice allot more no free running theory.

Last edited:
noticed my 5y.o. male lab in the back field yesterday and had something in his mouth. Called him in and he had an entire rabbit in his mouth and wouldn't give it up. ran away when I tried to get it and gulped it whole.

noticed my 5y.o. male lab in the back field yesterday and had something in his mouth. Called him in and he had an entire rabbit in his mouth and wouldn't give it up. ran away when I tried to get it and gulped it whole.

My female has done that with rabbits, and tried to eat them, but I was able to stop her. I'm sure she has eaten some I didn't know about.

Good Dog Care

The last few days have been something else. My wife and 5 year old daughter left a corn dog out in the living room, well, the next morning stick and all were gone. My Black Lab Dakota had eaten it. Well, more like just swallowed the whole thing. After 1 emergency visit, 2 regular vet visits, and $700 dollars later, we did x-rays, which won't show a wooden stick, but might show something atleast, the doctor did an endoscopy, running a camera and tool down her throat. Took 5 days, seeing if this would just pass through her system, but I had a bad feeling and knew just by watching her that it was lodged in her throat. He wasn't sure I was right, but when he called me with the news, he said, "you called it", the stick didn't have a chew mark on it, and it was lodged in the esophogus right before entering the stomach. Stressful 4-5 days, but she is good to go now. Needless to say, it was an accident that my wife and daughter left that laying out there, but I still was not happy about what we had to go through just because of a corn dog stick. Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

You took excellent care of your dog and it paid off. Well done.

My dog has eaten a book, my gf (might as well be my wife) mouth piece and much more i dont know about im sure. the mouth piece didnt have any metal like her new one does but if he had eaten that, he'd have two pieces of metal inside of him.

i usually eat my corn dogs without the sticks after its cooked.

try telling your daughter shes eating corn dogs with out the stick if she is gonna make a habit of leaving sticks in the house.

Back