Confused Newbie on Beretta A300 Model To Choose

clfergus

Newbie here, hoping to get some advice. I am primarily a deer hunter who lives in Indiana. I sometimes like to go Turkey Hunting in the spring but not every year due to work. The last couple of years I have had the chance to go Pheasant and Chukkar hunting on preserves. I have really enjoyed it and could see myself do it annually. I would not make it out west to do real upland hunting for many years if I have the funds for a trip.

I have only ever owned a 870 pump with a 26 inch barrel. So far I have used it for everything I have done. I have always wanted a semi-auto shotgun and my wife told me to go ahead and buy one. When i get that answer I don't hesitate long and get after it. My budget is around $750.00

That leads me to my main question. I really am looking hard at a Beretta A300 Outlander. I have a friend who has one and said it has never failed to cycle. Reviews on the web have been good. Seems like the only negative is the black barrels tend to rust easy so I am leaning toward a camo dip.

I just can't figure out if I should get the 24 inch Camo Turkey gun or the 28 inch Standard A300. Opinions are mixed on the web. Part of me wants to get the shorter 24 inch because it is cheaper and it would be a nice gun to take Turkey Hunting. I am not sure how accurate an upland and skeet gun it would be. I know the 28 inch is the normal length for Upland and can be used for Turkey as well.

I dont want to regret my purchase and wont have a chance to shoot any since no ranges have them. Would i have a hard time shooting occasional trap and bird hunting with a shorter 24 inch barrel?

I used to always turkey hunted with a "regular" length barrel (26" or 28") and used the same gun for ducks, deer, upland birds. It never bothered me that the barrel was not extra short. If you got the short turkey model, you probably wouldn't notice the short barrel in any hunting situation, but perhaps you would shooting clays. I think the A300 Outlander (wood and synthetic) may be available in 24", 26", 28" and 30" barrels (on Beretta's site). You have to decide what length you like and what fits you best. Have you thought about a used automatic as well?

Newbie here, hoping to get some advice. I am primarily a deer hunter who lives in Indiana. I sometimes like to go Turkey Hunting in the spring but not every year due to work. The last couple of years I have had the chance to go Pheasant and Chukkar hunting on preserves. I have really enjoyed it and could see myself do it annually. I would not make it out west to do real upland hunting for many years if I have the funds for a trip.

I have only ever owned a 870 pump with a 26 inch barrel. So far I have used it for everything I have done. I have always wanted a semi-auto shotgun and my wife told me to go ahead and buy one. When i get that answer I don't hesitate long and get after it. My budget is around $750.00

That leads me to my main question. I really am looking hard at a Beretta A300 Outlander. I have a friend who has one and said it has never failed to cycle. Reviews on the web have been good. Seems like the only negative is the black barrels tend to rust easy so I am leaning toward a camo dip.

I just can't figure out if I should get the 24 inch Camo Turkey gun or the 28 inch Standard A300. Opinions are mixed on the web. Part of me wants to get the shorter 24 inch because it is cheaper and it would be a nice gun to take Turkey Hunting. I am not sure how accurate an upland and skeet gun it would be. I know the 28 inch is the normal length for Upland and can be used for Turkey as well.

I dont want to regret my purchase and wont have a chance to shoot any since no ranges have them. Would i have a hard time shooting occasional trap and bird hunting with a shorter 24 inch barrel?

Bought my wife an A300 26" in camo a few years ago. She loves it, says it's the softest shooting 12 gauge she's ever had. I can advise it's very reliable, although like all autos you do have to break them down & clean them periodically. For the record, I still have and use now & then a number of 870s and they get the job done, even though I also use Franchi, Browning, and Winchesters of various types. One of those 870s was a 24" "turkey" model, picked up a 26" barrel in the same camo off ebay, put it on & stashed the 24" barrel in one of my safes, and forgot about it. For what my opinion is worth, get yourself a 26" or 28" (I personally prefer 26" barrels on my shotguns) Outlander and just go hunting. BTW, do some shopping around, they can be found pretty reasonably priced...

Last edited:
Barrel length is solely a matter of personal preference. Some prefer a longer barrel and some shorter. There is no right or wrong answer. It's what feels and works best for YOU. I personally prefer shorter barrels, especially for upland hunting. I shot a Benelli Montefeltro with a 24" barrel for years and loved it.

Just a FYI. Not all autos with the same length barrel are the same overall length. It also depends on the length of the action. For instance, the new Browning A5's have a very long action and can make a 28" barrel feel more like it's 30-32". The overall length of my new A5 Sweet Sixteen with a 26" barrel is 2.5" longer than my 1960 Sweet Sixteen with a 26" barrel. The extra length is in the receiver.

Get the gun YOU want and what feels best to YOU. Forget what others recommend, including me. :) Good luck.

If you feel more comfortable with a 24" barrel then go that way. Its not going to make that much difference. I have a uncle with a remington special field 12 gauge, 24" barrel and he has used it for just about everything, bird wise with no problems. I have a couple of beretta's and love them, excellent guns.

I don't think you can go wrong with beretta. All my shotguns are berettas but not because of brand. I shoot them cause this is what fits me best.
My advice to you about shotguns is to pick something that fits/shoots well for you/your build. This is so important and will impact how well you shoot with it! Get out and try some others -make note of the LOP's and comb heights. You'll be alot happier with your decision.
As far as barrel length, the 26-30 " standard for upland probably has more to do with having a more balanced gun with a more natural swing. In upland you are swinging alot..and fast. Very different from turkey hunting-which is more stationary pointing/aiming. A longer barrel wouldnt hinder your performance in the turkey woods. I would personally opt for something longer that allows me to multi purpose this gun more effectively....or you can just have an excuse to go buy another shotgun later ;)
I shoot anAL390, 391, and a 400-none have rust as all these autoloader's barrels are made from an alloy(no rust) thats stronger than steel. My beretta o/u absolutely will rust if I allow it.

I’ve pheasant hunted with everything from 21” to 30”. Most of mine are 28”. You won’t notice the difference between 24” and 28” in the turkey woods, in my opinion.

I’ve got an A300. Turkeys and ducks don’t care it’s not camo. I haven’t had rust issues, but if wet I wipe down and oil immediately after use.

View attachment 9498

View attachment 9499

Again just my opinion, for me the 28 inch barrel swings better, where the 24 inch is better for snap shooting. The 26 inch I prefer on my shotguns splits the difference and also fit in my safes better. As always, your results may vary...

Back