Colorado 2015-2016 Week 7

Week 7 is already here and only 5 more weekends to go chase Colorado pheasants, time sure flies when your having fun.

We knew it was going to be cold and windy on Saturday but we headed out of Denver early knowing the roads will probably be slippery and that they were out to about Limon, from there the roads were good. We stopped at our usual spot to finish getting geared up and as soon as the truck door opened my cousin and I were met by frigid wind chill temps. The temperature through the day got to 14 with what we figured was between 25-30 mph wind the entire day without letting up so when I got back home I looked up the wind chill chart and it said it was -5. I would have to agree, it was brutally cold.
With the cold blast of winter in our face we headed out into the first WIA where we flushed a rooster a few hundred yards from the truck. With early morning shoots the bird fell to the ground with three dogs right behind it. Only a lone hen the rest of the field but we were very happy to have harvested one from the WIA.
The next WIA found Orley on point within a few minutes of walking but the bird ran ahead and took flight well out of range. We continued to the road and turned to head back only to have 3 roosters flush wild way ahead of us. We figured it could be a hard day with this wind and so far this field they were jumpy unlike the first WIA.
After giving our x-mas slash thank you gift to the land owner we headed out into his wheat fields. All three dogs were going crazy with bird scent having points and flushing several hens with one about hitting my cousin in the head as it flew over. A little farther towards the edge of the wheat Orley with her nose into the wind freezes solid not even a twitch in her tail. I moved in and the rooster jumps in front of me flying to my right, the first shot hits him but not good enough so I hit him again and down he goes. After Orley retrieved it back to me we turned the corner and headed south, with the wind at our backs. About 50 yards before the edge of the wheat Orley was working her way back to me when we pinched a rooster between us giving me my second bird of the day and Orley's second retrieve. Turning east now Orley had another great point on a hen and as I yelled "hen" a rooster jumped ahead of us out of range. Then in front of my cousin a rooster flushed out of his hiding spot. As we pivot around the sprinkler a tailless rooster tried to out fly my cousins shot but lost that battle, 2 birds each. The rest of the day we had several hold tight and win the race against our shots and several birds flush way out of range. Around 3:30 we including the dogs had had enough of the wind and cold so we geared down and headed home shivering even with the heater on. It's amazing how my body core was still cold on Sunday but I know my cousin and he just like me wouldn't have stayed home knowing how cold it was.

Last edited:
Great summary. You're always finding birds. That is a great thing! I am heading out tomorrow with a buddy and his Brittany. Hopefully we get on some birds.

Good stories!

I was out last Saturday too and can attest to the cold temps. You forgot to mention humidity was at 90 percent!:eek:

Back