Colorado 2015-2016 Week 5

I've been thinking about not posting these stories thinking that it may sound as if I am bragging about the birds we are getting so if you have comments please reply so I know if I should continue or not, thank you.

Here it is Wednesday already and I'm getting ready to go back out this weekend and thought I would give you all my story on this past Saturday pheasant hunting. Just a bit of history, last year as the season went on I was shooting very poorly so I decided to have my Franchi fitted to me to rule out the gun. So I took it and my Red Label and had them fitted to me which they both were shortened and the Franchi had the pitch changed. We started the morning at one of our usual WIA but this time I decided to bring my 20 ga. red label, within ten minutes the first rooster took flight between my cousin and myself. We both shot missing both times but the rooster fell on my second shot. My GSP is 9 now and she gets a little bitchy I her old age as we saw when the younger lab came over to see what she had in her mouth and Orley met her with a growl and hair standing up. Now about 2/3rds the way through the 1/2 mile field another rooster jumps with my cousin getting the first shot of just ahead of mine so we are now 1 each. As we pushed towards the power lines and road a hen flushes to my right and a few steps more the rooster flushes between the two of us falling to my shot. We finished walking the field and headed back to the truck know that we just took 3 birds from a WIA on week 5, that's pretty rewarding.

We are walking the wheat fields of the private we have permission on and have made it about 3/4 around the circle when a rooster I called limpy flushed in front of my cousin. I had hit this bird several weeks ago getting him to drop his leg and we both missed him the week later and with the two shots just behind him he has now had 8 shots at him, Limpy has just made our list for a bird we have to get. As we turned to go through the middle of the field beside the sprinkler my third rooster drops to my shot, I checked the time it was 9:15am and for the forth week in a row I'm done. With my gun in the truck I walked with my cousin as his needed two more. I have to admit I had a lot of fun just being in the guide roll, it took us about a mile to put up his second rooster with a nice retrieve form his pup. Funny how only a couple minutes after he says "it would sure be nice to be finished" Orley goes on point and as we move closer to her the third and final rooster flushes giving my cousin a going away shot which he made easily. So after some photos and recollections of the mornings events we started for home at 11:15am.

Keep posting. What was the weather like on your hunt? Found coveys in sunflowers also. Every sunflower field seems to have tons of cockle burrs.

I have hunted once since our trip to Minnesota and North Dakota. Been working ever since it seems. I always like a good killing story!

Great reports. I am happy to hear of your success. Pride is limited now so we have not been out often this season. I am hoping to hit the fields at least once over the next 2 weeks. Who cares what others think. Keep writing.

We put a deposit down on a new puppy. We will surprise our boys in February with a new gun dog.

Last edited:
Back