Collars

TCD1100

So what's the pros and cons of garmins TT15 Mini + TT15 + TT25....going to purchase one of them, just looking for views, going to start a young Brittany this spring. Will any of these collars work with the Alpha 200 and the Pro 550 plus. I have used e collars before but never a tracking system. Thanks in advance

We use the tt15 with both the 200 and the 550 plus. The tt25 and the 300 are the newer versions. The 550 plus is better for training as it’s simple to use and will track a single dog. The alpha is better for gps as it can track multiple dogs at the same time.

The TT25 would be the one to get in my opinion.

Any will work, the TT15 Mini is for small dogs, my Small Munsterlander (44 pounds) has a relatively small neck compared to other hunting breeds and I have no problems with a regular size collar, A con of the Mini is less battery life.

TT15 is their "old" model. Works fine and I had 2 before (have one now as a backup as I'm back to just one dog for now) but compared to the TT25, much shorter battery life. I can hunt all day for 3 days straight and not charge the collar and come home still with enough juice for another day maybe 2. My TT15 I'd get about a day, day and a half at most before needing to charge.

I have no experience with the Pro 550 system, but I run an Alpha 300 and liked the upgrade from the 100 I had. Some ease of use and convenience upgrades but a big one is battery life again. Easily hunt for 3 days (probably 4, maybe 5) on a single charge. When I upgraded, the 300 was only $50 more than the 200, so I'd recommend just getting the 300 if you go the Alpha route.

I may be wrong but the TT25 collar saves battery by only transmitting locations when the dog moves. There may be other improvements but that thought sticks in my mind. I have been running the TT15 minis for no other reason than I like the smaller form. I probably have to charge mine every other day after more than twelve hours use. I have had them for 3 or 4 years so the batteries are probably not entirely what they used to be. I have never used the full size Garmin collars.

I have a 35 lb. female Brittany and have had the TT15 Mini for over 6 years. I really like the smaller collar for my Brittany. While some say the Mini has less battery life and less range I would say that it is minimal and nothing to be concerned about. I have the Alpha 100 with the TT15 Mini collar. The 100 has more functions and abilities than I will ever use. I'm sure the 200 and 300 are upgrades but probably nothing I need. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Alpha 200 or 550 plus. But I would opt for the Mini collar.

The new TT25s have been scaled down in size now. They're basically the same size as the Mini. The weight is a couple ounces more, but size profile is basically identical now. More battery life, same size, I know what I'd choose.

And Tennessee is correct in the battery difference, the collars actually all use the same battery. But the TT25 has a variable refresh rate and will go into sleep modes if the dog isn't moving at all or if it's moving at a higher rate of speed if you didn't turn the collar off driving between spots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_163724_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_163724_Chrome.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 8
The new TT25s have been scaled down in size now. They're basically the same size as the Mini. The weight is a couple ounces more, but size profile is basically identical now. More battery life, same size, I know what I'd choose.

And Tennessee is correct in the battery difference, the collars actually all use the same battery. But the TT25 has a variable refresh rate and will go into sleep modes if the dog isn't moving at all or if it's moving at a higher rate of speed if you didn't turn the collar off driving between spots.
Thanks for this info. Guess I haven't looked at the newer Garmin units. It appears the TT25 is about $50 more than the TT15 Mini, but I'd spend the extra bucks and get the TT25 and have the latest technology. I do like the smaller size on my Brittanys.

I run the TT15 mini and a 550 Pro + on my lab. It is a great system when linked to my Garmin watch, too. I like the mini due to it being smaller. I have no battery issues when afield or out training.

Attachments

• SD2.jpg
    SD2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 10
I got the TT25 collars when I bought my 550+. Garmin has a tendency to stop supporting older models of their products so for better or worse, I went with the newest collar offering

So what's the pros and cons of garmins TT15 Mini + TT15 + TT25....going to purchase one of them, just looking for views, going to start a young Brittany this spring. Will any of these collars work with the Alpha 200 and the Pro 550 plus. I have used e collars before but never a tracking system. Thanks in advance
I’ve bought new batteries off eBay numerous times for various different types/brands of collars. Ideally you can get the part number directly off the batteries and find them quickly and reasonably.

I’ve had TT15s, TT15 minis, and now TT25s. Like said above, TT25 size is very similar to the mini and the battery life outperforms any track/train collar I’ve owned. I’ve slowly phased out all my old stuff to TT25s. The extended battery life alone was enough of a selling point for me.

Back