Cold Weather Digital Cameras

rjbert2

Has anyone had any experience with Digital Cameras that preform well in cold weather. It seems we are taking more and more pictures while we are in the field with friends and family. Everyone at the Box stores seem to always have "the best camera for the job". I would like more experienced input.

Any experiences and thoughts are appreciated.

:)

I bought a Pentax Optio W60 a year ago. I have used it ice fishing without any troubles but I keep it in an inside pocket. Its pretty small and its waterproof so handy for hunting/fishing pictures.

There were allot of reviews at imaging-resource.com, one of the resources I used when picking out mine.

@bigdog, That's a good site. I need to clarify my question. I was curious about the "Digital Video cameras". My error. I have been reading so many reviews and talking to youngster at the big box stores and it appears not many have cold weather information regarding Video Cameras.

I am however looking for a new Digital Camera also. I need to update both of my units. You lead is a good one. Thanks.:eek:

Fishing guide that I know uses a Cannon Digital Video camera but I don't have the model, he films ice fishing with it. I see him in a couple weeks and I will try to remember to ask.

Excellent. I'll wait to hear from you.

I don't know of any that you can basicly leave in the truck say over night and work the next day in freezing temps. But all I have seen work fine for the time in the field the day you go, from a warm vehicle or a house. It seems to be the over night deep freeze that kills them.

I don't know of any that you can basicly leave in the truck say over night and work the next day in freezing temps. But all I have seen work fine for the time in the field the day you go, from a warm vehicle or a house. It seems to be the over night deep freeze that kills them.

Yes cold and heat kill the batteries, Heat in a car, will make them boil over. the acid will cause corrosion, that will end that camera's, life. I learned this one the hard way.:eek: Cold will kill the batteries more slow, kind of like what happens to your car batteries and or tractor, or other equipment, that you dont drive, or use frequently. If the batteries are in good shape the cold, or heat will have no effect on any digital camera. Unless you talking Kelvin scale cold. :)

I have a Pentax Optio W10 I bought years ago and take the majority of pictures with. Under water fish photos and video as well. Also use a Nikon D90, but usally stays in the truck as it is a bit large to carry afield. For video, i carry a small sony digital cam cordor that works pretty well. I have taken some cool video of working behind a Britney and catching the trail, point and shot, while holding in left hand under the forarm.

I don't leave them in the truck overnight, and it is possible to get condensation on the internals if you move from cold to warm humid.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and experiences. :thumbsup:

It's going to come to making a choice and just taking some extra care to make sure it lasts as long as possible. One thing that stands out to me is the size and weight of the cameras. I have to admit I looked at that but not as close as I should have. When I go out this weekend I'll have to look much closer.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Back