Choke, gauge, shell performance

benelli-banger

Current trip has been 6 days, been shooting 12 gauge with IC and 1 1/4 oz lead #5’s @ 1200 fps for 4 days, the past 2 a 20 gauge O/U choked skt1/Lt mod (.05/.12) with an oz of lead #5’s @about 1250 fps. Knocked down high teens # of birds, lost a few and had a few tough recoveries….those 5-6 had one thing in common: straight aways, most a bit long in retrospect. Using what I’ve been using for 15-20 years, maybe longer. Lost 2 outright out of 18 or 19, in terrible conditions for dogs…dry as can be, warm overall. I’m happy with the results of lead 5’s at moderate speed shot out of fairly open chokes. First outing with my beretta BL 4 20 gauge…5 lb, 14 oz…28” barrels….a joy to carry, a bit whippy, but I’m starting to hit pretty well with it. Can’t emphasize how dry it is.

Been dry in MN and Iowa too. Really seen a difference with dogs scenting. Hoping for a little moisture and cooler weather soon. But not a blizzard and 20 below either.

I've been using a nice sweet 16 made in the 50s. I love the feel and weight. I don't really like the full choke. I havnt shot a full choke in 20 years,except for turkey, and I use extra full for that.I love yhat Browning, but I shoot my 11-87,and my 870 better.Maybe I just need to stay with yhe 16.I have limited out with it twice.Ive also missed some lay ups.

The key to going away shots is tight choke. Force enough pellets into the backbone and it will come down like a limp dish rag. Plus they are almost impossible to miss, just put the bead above the bird and squeeze one off. This is especially true when talking 20 and 28ga, where the pellet count is getting thin.

I shoot standard an IM over LM in my 20ga, with 1 1/4 5s. I switch to F/IM for flushers or public land smart birds. I use LM/IC for preserve birds, with 1oz 5s or 6s.

Some wounded birds run a long ways while others burrow into the ground where they land. I try to remember to trust the dog and its nose. Not always easy when dog is 20 yards or more from where you are convinced the bird is until they one back to to with the bird

Back