Chippewa NF Grouse

tokerlun

I hunted a bit this weekend in the Chippewa National Forest. Kicked one up on the road about 35 yards ahead of me and the dogs. Then, on a AM walk without my shotgun, kicked up a Ruffed Grouse that would have been a sure shot. It was fun to see my 10 month old Golden Retriever get very excited. She didn't stop jumping around for 5 minutes.

Pheasant hunting in South Dakota in a few weeks will be fun. I hope she catches on a bit quicker with more chances at birds and an older dog to show her the ropes.

Good to hear your pup is getting birds! Grouse can be tough on young dogs. Be careful having an older dog "teach" a younger dog. Sometimes the younger dogs learn just to follow the other dog and lose some independence.

David0311

Good to hear your pup is getting birds! Grouse can be tough on young dogs. Be careful having an older dog "teach" a younger dog. Sometimes the younger dogs learn just to follow the other dog and lose some independence.

That is very good advice--older dog can do more harm than good--listen to mnaj
On that--

Can also cause younger dog to be put off on retrieving --or hunting dead if over shadowed by a older more experienced dog--jmo

Good to know. The other dog is a good pointer and loves birds. He isn't great for finding downed birds. We may have to alternate fields or keep them on opposite ends of the line.

Back