Chicks

haymaker

Saw some really little chicks today, and I do mean little. Saw the hen so I stopped raking and got out could not find a nest, then I saw these tiny little chicks. I backed the rake up and moved out of the area. The smallest chicks I have ever seen.

I was traveling east on 94 in MN last week and saw several ducks with tiny (ping pong ball) size duckings. About 8 ducklings per hen

SD had some late birds last year and I'm pretty sure we let a few go over our trip not being 100% sure what it was. Then others would put pics out of juveniles they'd gotten and that's what we'd seen too. I'd never seen young birds like that before in Kansas. I'll be on the ready this year.

I was talking to a farmer in church yesterday and he said similar things about recently seeing some very small pheasant and turkey chicks. Seems really late, but they probably know something we don't (warm winter) and they keep trying until they find some success.

Speaking of mild winters, my mother-in-law said that the silks on the corn we husked for supper last night showed signs of a mild winter, as well. We shall see.

Last edited:
Kind of curious, but yesterday I saw a brood of turkeys that seemed quite small for this time of year. This was in central Minn.

I have been watching a clutch of turkey poults in my neighborhood the past month too. They grow FAST. And they can motor too even at an early age. The clutch started with 5 but its down to 3 now.

I was talking to a farmer in church yesterday and he said similar things about recently seeing some very small pheasant and turkey chicks. Seems really late, but they probably know something we don't (warm winter) and they keep trying until they find some success.

Speaking of mild winters, my mother-in-law said that the silks on the corn we husked for supper last night showed signs of a mild winter, as well. We shall see.
I think we, as a generation, have lost a lot of knowledge about the natural world...before the 1940's (electricity and radio), farmers thrived or failed on what they knew about the weather, regarding crops and animals. Now, we "try" to rely on people reading script in front of a camera that probably haven't spent one day on a farm in their life..."I'd like to make a half million a year and only have to be right thirty percent of the time.

Two of our neighbors, piped water to their kitchens, but still used "outhouses" until the mid sixties.

While in high school, I worked at the co-op grocery store. Had a guy would come into the store once a month for groceries...his neighbor brought him into town. After buying his groceries, he'd sit at the front window, waiting for his ride, and we'd "chit-chat" while I bagged groceries. Many times he'd comment on the weather and what would happen in the upcoming season. The first year I kind of blew him off. But I realized, this guy was right in what he said about the coming weather. Fifty years later and I still remember that guy...we've given up a lot of knowledge as we'd adopted new technology.

Sometimes, when I try new clothes and hunting gear, my conclusion is, "Not everything that's new is better".

SD had some late birds last year and I'm pretty sure we let a few go over our trip not being 100% sure what it was. Then others would put pics out of juveniles they'd gotten and that's what we'd seen too. I'd never seen young birds like that before in Kansas. I'll be on the ready this year.

We had a bunch the first week of November like that last year. "HEN HEN HEN HEN" BOOM. Somebody would catch a glimpse of white neck or some color or a cackle while everybody else was just seeing mostly drab color and no tail.

Saw a hawk yesterday dive in after some pheasants. A handful flew out but could not tell what they were. Walked over to where I had seen the hawk and it flew away and found a pheasant about the size of a pigeon that the hawk had killed. Also saw birds in the same area that were full sized and full color.

Back