Chick Sightings?

RWB

Anybody in SW or W Kansas seeing pheasant or quail chicks? Looks there has been some timely rain. Hoping cover and bug life has been good to em.

I have been driving the roads and have not seen any yet. We have had some rain but we don't have much cover due to a lack of CRP. There are weeds in the wheat fields but they will be spraying everything and bailing all the wheat stubble. If rain doesn't continue, we will see emergency grazing again with the remaining CRP. We did have a late harvest so if there was a good hatch, with the weeds, we should see some birds.

I’ve seen 3 broods in the last week on Oklahoma/ks state line on my work route. Country looks good and green!🤞
Some storms have had hail and very intense, but there was no hope without the rain after last year… time will tell

I have been driving the roads and have not seen any yet. We have had some rain but we don't have much cover due to a lack of CRP. There are weeds in the wheat fields but they will be spraying everything and bailing all the wheat stubble. If rain doesn't continue, we will see emergency grazing again with the remaining CRP. We did have a late harvest so if there was a good hatch, with the weeds, we should see some birds.
When they approve emergency grazing is it all or nothing? Meaning do they have guidelines to take only a certain percentage from each field?

I have yet to see a hatch of anything at the Ponderosa. I have bob white quail, pheasant, Rio turkey and lesser prairie chicken. I thought I might see something during wheat harvest, but didn't. I am really hopeful though. Went 7 1/2 months without rain or snow, then it started raining. My winter wheat went from near death to a crop, not good, but at least it made seed. The rains came, spread out a bit, and the weeds responded. My waste areas are a jungle with growth up to 9-10' tall(fire weed, ditch weed, lambsquarters, giant ragweed). So, I am not disappointed that I am not seeing anything, because there is so much cover. The other day I was running through weeds taller than the cab on the UTV when I came upon a flock of turkey. Don't know who was the most surprised, but those big birds had a though time getting airborne out of that jungle. I am hearing quail calling at the farmstead, something I didn't hear last year. I hear some pheasant calling off in a distance. The timely rains have brought my short grass pastures to life and they are an unusual color for this time of the year(green). My CRP has responded nicely with some rebound of forbs that last year were severely surpressed. It is getting hot now and who knows what is in store for moisture in the future. I am really hopeful that the spring and early summer conditions will lead to decent bird hatches, only time will tell.

Huntin' buddy in NW hasn't seen a chick or heard of anyone who has. Awful last year and probably more of the same.

Damn that’s a big stone… I ran from the storm last night in south central ks while at work, went right over one of my spots… it had hail just hope it didn’t look like that

Back