Checking in -- a few solo hunts around Christmas

nstric

Just me and Gunner . . . hunting a new piece of ground only recently discovered. An absolutely beautiful set up, managed for wildlife, and simply loaded with pheasants. It's my new honey hole, only 15 minutes from home.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3A5%3A%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E2773594389247ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3C3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D368267%3C586338nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3C26%3Dot%3E2333%3D%3C54%3D%3A%3A7%3DXROQDF%3E277359438%3A247ot1lsi

Atta Boy Nate, great pics and glade you posted them. Looks like you had a great time. Gunner look good too. :thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Nice going NAte.
How do you all do it?
I need to get over my people phobia and knock on some doors.

Knocking on a door and introducing yourself to a complete stranger certainly isn't the easiest of things to do. I recall, when back in my 20's, being really nervous about it. Now, well, it's old hat given the thousands of attempts I've made.

Interesting enough, I think at least, is I've very real fear of public speaking. I'm genuine introvert, don't prefer the spotlight, but am aces when one on one or one on a few. I enjoy and can generally win the room over, and have honed this craft over the past few decades. Be authentic, genuine, utterly respectful, and I think you too will find most welcoming.

Give it a try in '14!

There are 2 places I want to check before this season is over. One is in Iowa falls and one is down the road. Want to go for a ride.......wink wink! Show a newbie how it is done? LMAO. Kidding. I just have to do it.

I have a friend that is retired military. He uses challenge coins as his calling card. I am not retired Military, but maybe I can do the same. I am just a chicken.thats the facts.

about 5 years ago i walked up to a farmers door and asked to hunt a peice of his land,,,, he yelled at me and said, DID'NT YOU SEE THE DAMN SIGN 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD? i was thinking to myself if i would have seen the sign i wouldnt be here!!! lol, well he yelled at my for about 5 min. before slamming the door in my face. so i just havent got the nerve up the knock on anymore doors. over the years all my private ground has dwindled away. my private P.F. ground is now a private lease deal for the big wallets. i do have one nice farm near my house im going to send my daughter up to the door lol.:D

Sorry Nate. Didnt intend for this to get off track.:(

But thanks for giving me one more fear Roscoe!

Funny thing is, the place in IF I was told the dude would probably say yes. But I am still afraid.

Nice Nate, a close place for a quickie now and then:)

I got out over X-mas down south, the same place I sent you down to last fall. Nearly the same result. I walked, walked and walked some more. Saw very few tracks. Then finally cut a few fresh tracks heading in a general direction.

I SLOWLY hunted that way and over the course of about 10 -12 minutes, there were 30+ birds getting up all around me, close to the river again. It was amazing. the most in one rise was 9. Then a step and three more. Then stand still 30 seconds, take step and 3 more, etc, etc. In all those birds, only one rooster, which I let fly. It must have been hit hard this season to see that many birds and only one rooster.

And, I have seen Nate work his door knocking magic more than once. I think he could probably give a class on it. But, to be fair Nate, I think you left one thing out, your closer.....Gunner! I believe twice now I have been with you that landowners have asked to see your dog and Gunner sealed the deal :)

I SLOWLY hunted that way and over the course of about 10 -12 minutes, there were 30+ birds getting up all around me, close to the river again. It was amazing. the most in one rise was 9. Then a step and three more. Then stand still 30 seconds, take step and 3 more, etc, etc. In all those birds, only one rooster, which I let fly. It must have been hit hard this season to see that many birds and only one rooster.

And, I have seen Nate work his door knocking magic more than once. I think he could probably give a class on it. But, to be fair Nate, I think you left one thing out, your closer.....Gunner! I believe twice now I have been with you that landowners have asked to see your dog and Gunner sealed the deal :)
Yea, a 30+ to 1 hen to rooster ratio is certainly indication of some hunting pressure. Hopefully a few of those wise 'ol roosters elected to run in front of you too.

And yes, there's no doubt that having Gunner in the truck has helped me secure some permission. From the way I enter the driveway, to the way I park the truck, to where I have Gunner sit (when in the cab), to how I approach the house . . . it's all planned, and in my experiences, lends to greater procurement of ground. All still authentic. Nothing disingenuous, nor "lucky", as I'm a firm believer in both preparation and creation of opportunity.

about 5 years ago i walked up to a farmers door and asked to hunt a peice of his land,,,, he yelled at me and said, DID'NT YOU SEE THE DAMN SIGN 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD? i was thinking to myself if i would have seen the sign i wouldnt be here!!! lol, well he yelled at my for about 5 min. before slamming the door in my face. so i just havent got the nerve up the knock on anymore doors. over the years all my private ground has dwindled away. my private P.F. ground is now a private lease deal for the big wallets. i do have one nice farm near my house im going to send my daughter up to the door lol.:D

I used to be nervous as hell when knocking on doors but it really doesnt bother me anymore.

There will be the buttheads but most are friendly unless you catch them on a bad day. Ive even had most apologize to me if they are telling me no (ie they have it leased already, have family coming etc).

It makes it even easier if you are by yourself. Just dont go directly at lunch time, dinner time, early in the morning time, when the weather is miserable time (they dont want to hold their door open when its 14 degrees and the wind is howling 30mph) if its 50 and sunny they'll probably come outside to talk to you etc.

Anyways I just laugh when I run across the butt heads. I ran into one last year and he was such an ass I want to go back this year. I know its wrong but I was very nice, the guy was just a dick. He wouldnt remember me from last year so next time Im out his way and by myself Im probably going to stop again. Im sure if you ran into him in the grocery store or out in public Id still think he was a dick.

But to the original poster -- nice find.

Yea, a 30+ to 1 hen to rooster ratio is certainly indication of some hunting pressure. Hopefully a few of those wise 'ol roosters elected to run in front of you too.

And yes, there's no doubt that having Gunner in the truck has helped me secure some permission. From the way I enter the driveway, to the way I park the truck, to where I have Gunner sit (when in the cab), to how I approach the house . . . it's all planned, and in my experiences, lends to greater procurement of ground. All still authentic. Nothing disingenuous, nor "lucky", as I'm a firm believer in both preparation and creation of opportunity.

Come on NAte! You have my interest peaked. What do you mean by "The way I park the truck". These have to be things you wouldnt mind sharing with some rookies? I dont even think I am in your neck of the woods.

OH, and being a girl doesnt get me on things any quicker...........Maybe because I am 6ft 220. If I was 5 ft with blonde hair and big boobs, I may have a chance.

Come on NAte! You have my interest peaked. What do you mean by "The way I park the truck". These have to be things you wouldnt mind sharing with some rookies? I dont even think I am in your neck of the woods.

OH, and being a girl doesnt get me on things any quicker...........Maybe because I am 6ft 220. If I was 5 ft with blonde hair and big boobs, I may have a chance.

Perhaps we need to team up - I mean who would say no to two gals and a truck load of bird dogs? :p

I need to get better about asking - there are plenty of private areas around here that don't get a ton of pressure but I'm not a fan of cold calls. Luckily I've met a lot of locals through work that don't mind if we come out and hunt... and yes, a pretty dog certainly helps the cause!

Perhaps we need to team up - I mean who would say no to two gals and a truck load of bird dogs? :p

I need to get better about asking - there are plenty of private areas around here that don't get a ton of pressure but I'm not a fan of cold calls. Luckily I've met a lot of locals through work that don't mind if we come out and hunt... and yes, a pretty dog certainly helps the cause!

Im game! Maybe it will help with confidence. If you get turned down......I will laugh at you and you can do the same. Maybe even make a game out of it. Take friendly wagers, HA HA HA

I think it could be fun.

Friend of mine told me about a friend of his knocking on a door to coyote hunt a property and being greeted by a naked 80 year old woman! I am sure if he would have just winked at her he could have hunted any where he wanted!:eek:

Im game! Maybe it will help with confidence. If you get turned down......I will laugh at you and you can do the same. Maybe even make a game out of it. Take friendly wagers, HA HA HA

I think it could be fun.

Friend of mine told me about a friend of his knocking on a door to coyote hunt a property and being greeted by a naked 80 year old woman! I am sure if he would have just winked at her he could have hunted any where he wanted!:eek:

That sounds about right - I've had 3 people over the years come to the door less than appropriately dressed. Usually I was knocking for work, though! ;)

This is a great post. If anyone has techniques they are willing to share discuss, I could well imagine the popularity of the post. For my own experiences, I have not yet ran into the grouch when asking permission. I did run into an issue at a hunting hotel back in the heyday. A patron was tired of all the dogs running around and decided when I pulled in that the issue was me. I just arrived from driving all day! All I could do was politely apologize, suggest the Super 8 down the road and give him my room number if he wanted to discuss it further. All the other hunters at the motel calmed me down and ran him off by barking as they walked by his window! I still have the same dog (12 years old) and back then the hotel was full and pheasants everywhere. Times change...

Catching up -->

Nakedness in the country ... yes, this is actually somewhat common. I've been greeted dozens upon dozens of times by half dressed women and / or men. It doesn't even surprise me any longer.

Tips for gaining permission ... wow, I don't even know where to start. There's so much that I've learned and put into practice over the last couple of decades. What works for me may not for another, and vice versa, but I'd be happy to *talk* through my lessons learned with interested parties.

I say *talk* as I wouldn't want to compile list that could be interpreted by another, without context, as a way in which to manipulate or persuade another. There's nothing I say or do that's not in integrity. I simply give thought and plan for how best to expose my strengths, and the opportunities for the land owner. Plus, quite candidly, I feel like I could write a book on the matter -- again not because I believe I necessarily know more than other, but rather because I've so many of my own experiences, mostly good, some not so, to share. I don't know that I've the time to draft such.

Anyone know how to host a Google Chat? Or similar?

I have no intention of misleading anyone into hunting on their land. Just would like some pointers.

We can use skype to chat.???

I actually thought it would be a neat book. You can even add an element of comedy and list all the funny or odd things that have happened. I was going to do a similar book on y experience with animal control and working at the humane society. You see some wierd stuff in that line of work.

Like Nate, I have a very, very good % with cold call permission. Agree about the parking of the vehicle, both in the yard, and in the field, once you procur permission. Dont sit in your vehicle too long on the yard, but dont rush out of it either. Apparrel is very important, as is demeaner/confidence in your presentation.

You dont want to look like a yuppy from the city, but you dont want to look like a hick either. Having dogs kenneled, and not riding loose in the back of a truck, is a plus. (dont know about a dog riding shotgun in the passenger seat, but I wouldnt see that as detrimental to the cause;)) I dont wear any hunting apparel to the door, other than my whistles, which I wear almost everywhere anyway...

If I gotta stop on the other side of the section, and take gear off, so be it..
Be honest about what you are asking for, and if anything, dont ask for the world to begin with.

I never ask permission to hunt groves surrounding the place.

I always ask where they want me to park, to be out of the way.. If they tell me I can go ahead and drive in, anywhere on their property, I decline, opting to walk in, irregardless of the distance.(unless there it a dedicated road to the field) If you must drive in, drive on untilled corn or bean ground, or walk. Dont drive across a field that is prepped for next year. I approach it like I dont even want to know that I was there, let alone the landowner..

If there are more than one person hunting/asking, everybody goes to the door, and 1 person is the spokesperson. Granting permission to the spokesperson, does not give the other person along, permission to come back tomorrow, unless they are willing to go to the door themselves. This gets a little hairy, because if someone from your party goes back, things can go good, or bad, and if it goes badly, its possible you will be turned down next trip, and not know why..

I would never ask with more than 2 adults along, Youre almost doomed, right from the start, because they dont know exactly who they are giving permission to. In this day and age, the chances of getting on a piece of property with three vehicles, and 10 people thru a cold call, would be slim and none.

an abandoned grove, yes,

every situation is different...i don't know that you need a book, but sizing up the home place and vehicles/equipment can tell you a little before you knock on the door....often the guy you talk to doesn't own the ground, but you would be surprised, if you ask, he may own an 80 down the road and you might be able to hunt that ground...never hurts to ask....take your time, talk weather, commodity prices, if the place is neat and clean, tell them you noticed...just be polite and spend some time talking...often a no look turns into a yes answer...

Back