Checking in -- a few solo hunts around Christmas

We can use skype to chat.???
Sure. Skype or FaceTime if you've an iPhone as I do. LMK . . . we can set up a time.

I agree with most of what the others stated above. Subtle differences include consideration given to how to park and approach *prior* to even making request to hunt.

And while some have all in the party approach the door, I do not. I find some in the country, particularly younger women (sub 50 years old), apprehensive to come to the door when, say, their husband isn't home. They are much more likely to open up, and even invite me in, when it's just me. However, I couldn't agree more about being upfront about all you're requesting access for. I too very rarely request permission on private when it's more than me and one other.

If you pull a dog trailer, good luck. Many interpret such as commercial, impersonal, abusive, etc. A dog in the cab represents, whether we agree or not, a very close connection to your canine and an aura of kindness.

Hand written thank you's, written the evening after your hunt and mailed the following day, is a must. I often include photos, counts of birds, other wildlife observations, etc.

So much more ...

Fun topic!

I reward a yes, (irregardless of success) with walleye fillets. You'd be surprised how much of an impact this makes regarding whether they remember me or not at a later date. Find a way to separate you from the others.

Sometimes, through the course of the conversation they may throw a request out there also. I remember a time in southern Iowa when the gentleman I was asking for to hunt pheasants and quail requested a Canada goose. I found a way to make it happen over the next few days, and we have become lifelong friends, even to the point my wife and I have stayed with them in Arizona a couple times ... You never know..

I've been thrown off the steps also...:rolleyes:

This is one of the most informative posts I have ever read! I am like many as I hate knocking on doors. I guess part of it is I feel I am bothering people by doing it. The other part is actually trying to find the landowner themself.

I've not been turned down but maybe twice but, on the other hand I've only asked a handful to hunt.

Looks like you and Gunner had a great day!

Love the information coming out in this post. Little details make the difference.
I have a 90+ % rate on asking permission but hate "bothering people". Always in
the back of my head anyway. Most landowners I've ever asked have been very, very friendly but I always feel like I'm bothering them. However, I believe they at least appreciate you asking.

Repetition, Repetition, Repetition and I believe it all comes naturally.

Keep the thread going, already good info for all of us who want to do it right and represent the sport to its best.

Thanks

im going to the polk county city hall tomorow to buy a polk county plat book, im going to give the ol door knocking thingy one more shot, and i'll have my daughter go up to the door with me.;) mabey that will help, i do know if ya can grab a plat book for youre county it will have an air view of the land along with address and phone number. good way to locate a land owner. this will be a next season project.

Im game! Maybe it will help with confidence. If you get turned down......I will laugh at you and you can do the same. Maybe even make a game out of it. Take friendly wagers, HA HA HA

I think it could be fun.

Friend of mine told me about a friend of his knocking on a door to coyote hunt a property and being greeted by a naked 80 year old woman! I am sure if he would have just winked at her he could have hunted any where he wanted!:eek:

Made me chuckle.
You might hear "chika bow wow" music in the background when people tell stories of the door being opened by a gal in need, but like the one above I seem to find the tarp wearing mutants, not hotties.

im going to the polk county city hall tomorow to buy a polk county plat book, im going to give the ol door knocking thingy one more shot, and i'll have my daughter go up to the door with me.;) mabey that will help, i do know if ya can grab a plat book for youre county it will have an air view of the land along with address and phone number. good way to locate a land owner. this will be a next season project.

If you know any county workers -- plow drivers, maintainers, or anyone in the NRCS office - or even a farmer here or there... ask if you can have an old plat book. They've gotten expensive but rural landowners get a free copy every year and sometimes the county offices have a stockpile of out of date books. Worth a shot and it'll save ya $30.00.

nice pics there Nate. I love the dog just posing in the picture very nice lol. looks like you have better luck finding pheasants that I do. I live in Des Moines Iowa, and love pheasant. if you have any ideas of where I could find some decent spots I would very much like that

if you have any ideas of where I could find some decent spots I would very much like that

Put the miles on and you'll find 'em! I've heard people whine a lot about Polk County over the years but there's public land birds to be had. Grab a sportsman's atlas if you don't have one already.

Put the miles on and you'll find 'em! I've heard people whine a lot about Polk County over the years but there's public land birds to be had. Grab a sportsman's atlas if you don't have one already.

I think that's what I will do :)
don't have any buddy's to go hunting with but hey, I have hunted and had some fun with a little bit of luck by myself.

iowa if you get on the iowa dnr website and go to the find a place to hunt page, you can click on their atlas and it will show you all the public land iowa has to offer. you can upload it into a gps.

Back