Cheapest hunt ever

quail hound

I got a tip on a Dfg hunt at Hensley lake, which is 10mi from my house, and the possibility of some birds that got away. Knowing the spot and that there is at least a nice covey of quail there I said what the heck and loaded up the 2 pups for a quick hunt. The pups worked great and moved 2 roosters and a covey of quail which on all counts the cylinder choke from my 28ga did its job, my IC choke failed it's attempt at a quail. So 20mi round trip $3.70, 4 shells $1.50, 2 roosters and a quail maybe 3lbs dressed for a total of $1.40 per pound.:) No they weren't wild birds but who could complain about a few birds so close to home.:cheers:

The pups.

20121209_164617.jpg

I keep an eye out for opportunities like that. For instance, the American Field guys run a lot of trials out at the Thermalito Afterbay and they just blank off their birds – they never actually shoot anything.

I like to go out there on the Monday afterward and turn the big-running pointing dogs loose. Such a trip can result in quite a few bird contacts.

Nice looking birds for releasers. Idaho and Wyoming have had some sub par planters the last few years I've heard.

And remember Quail Hound---------NO MINING ANYTIME!

Lol. I'll keep my dredge out of the river I guess. You have to remember though John, this is gold country. They were very nice birds for plants and the weird thing is no holes in the nostrils from blinders.:confused: That makes a big difference Imo as to how they act after released.

Nice hunt, nice picture, and, in mho, a quality rationalization...which is saying something in a group of pheasant hunters who selectively categorize expenses
designated for each hunt. :)

So 20mi round trip $3.70, 4 shells $1.50, 2 roosters and a quail maybe 3lbs dressed for a total of $1.40 per pound.

Someday, I'll put together some general rules and offer a prize for the best rationalization of expenses and time for a particular hunt. I'll have to rule myself out, because I do some quality rationalizing, if I do say so myself.

For example, once told myself how frugal my duck hunting was after a day which involved about $45,000 worth of vehicles, $500 canoe, time spent for two men to travel down, over, and sometimes "in," a log-strewn river branch, plus gas for the 80 mile round trip, and about $700 in shotguns, plus shells... oh, and licenses...

to harvest one, that is ONE, blue-winged teal.

By gawd, beat THAT with store-bought food !!!

:D :D :D

Nice work with the dogs, and looks to have been a great hunt. Congratulations.

:thumbsup:

Quail Hound, you take some great pics. My bro-in-law and I did some mining, Detecting and highbanking in the Tolam. and Sana.rivers and tailing piles. I was keeping an eye out for birds and the BIN was looking for deer, great country!

Nice hunt, nice picture, and, in mho, a quality rationalization...which is saying something in a group of pheasant hunters who selectively categorize expenses
designated for each hunt. :)

Someday, I'll put together some general rules and offer a prize for the best rationalization of expenses and time for a particular hunt. I'll have to rule myself out, because I do some quality rationalizing, if I do say so myself.

For example, once told myself how frugal my duck hunting was after a day which involved about $45,000 worth of vehicles, $500 canoe, time spent for two men to travel down, over, and sometimes "in," a log-strewn river branch, plus gas for the 80 mile round trip, and about $700 in shotguns, plus shells... oh, and licenses...

to harvest one, that is ONE, blue-winged teal.

By gawd, beat THAT with store-bought food !!!

:D :D

Nice work with the dogs, and looks to have been a great hunt. Congratulations.

:thumbsup:

I guess you're right Kis, we are a bit selective when we rationalize these things. I completely forgot about that $5,000 vet bill Buddy racked up a few months ago or that transmission I had to rebuild, the boots on my feet, the shotgun in my hand and countless other expenses that go along with the hunt.:eek: No wonder those birds taste so good.:cheers:

:D:thumbsup::D

:10sign:

By the way, QH, can you tell me about having two springers out, working for you? Mick is terrific for me, but I've turned down a couple of offers for other flushing dogs because of my simple-mindedness being unable to envision watching two dogs at once, neither of which has ever "backed" or honored another dog's birdiness.

I can only picture hunting chaos.

TYVM

:)

Last edited:
Few things more fun than upland bird hunting with a 28 gauge ... perhaps only exceeded by the noble 16 gauge.....Nice job and great hunt.

:D:thumbsup::D

:10sign:

By the way, QH, can you tell me about having two springers out, working for you? Mick is terrific for me, but I've turned down a couple of offers for other flushing dogs because of my simple-mindedness being unable to envision watching two dogs at once, neither of which has ever "backed" or honored another dog's birdiness.

I can only picture hunting chaos.

TYVM

:)

I can be chaotic at times but in a fun way. These two pups actually hunt independent of one another and never trail or otherwise pester each other while hunting. LB, the one one the right who looks like a saint Bernard, hunts a little slower and more methodical, never pushes the limits of gun range and checks in often. Buddy, the little guy is a firecracker, runs full bore all the time, punches out and works the wind and is always testing me as to range. LB found the first rooster close as Buddy was punching out ahead so he got the first bird and first retrieve, after that Buddy decided he should stick closer. Hunted a old dead fall with the wind to our back, buddy punched out about 40yds, I whistled to turn him and boom, he hits scent and rooster number 2 was his to retrieve. Imo the only "honoring" and flushing dog needs to do is honor one another's retrieve and their dad taught them that early on in the season. You can see they are both wearing ecollars but that's just so they know "when I'm wearing this I get to have fun". I'll let them be pups and make mistakes for their first full season and not use the collars AT ALL. They'll learn enough from the birds this season.

Back