Chasing lab

Neither. I think you need to study up on what the purpose of a dog wearing an ecollar actually is. The collar will not teach the dog to quarter, you need to do that. The collar will re inforce what you have already taught the dog. I am not trying to be rude, but you are not listening, and seem to be hung up on using your e collar. Your dog is not collar conditioned and by continuing to use it you will only ruin your dog or your dog will never reach its potential. You need to follow a program.

Here is how I teach quartering. I have 2 helpers fanned out 20 yds to my left and right and about 5 yds in front of me. Each with about 5 dummies in hand. As we begin to slowly walk one of the helpers starts waving the dummy yelling hey hey hey getting the dog to run toward the dummy. As the dog gets there I use the twill of the whistle to turn the dog and the other helper start waving the dummy getting the dogs attention and encouraging the dog to run that direction. As the dog is turning I am giving an over with my hands. Then we just keep going back and forth. After a session or 2 we then randomly fire the training pistol and let the dog retrieve a dummy.

By now the dog is learning to quarter. We then graduate to frozen birds, then live shackled birds planted in the field, and then to shooting a live bird at the end of the field.

The dog has now learned to quarter a field and it has absolutely nothing to do with the e collar. Please by the dvd Fowl Dawgs by Rick Stawski. You can get it at gundog supply for about $20. Has a great feature on quartering. You have a lot of work to do before you even think about using that e collar.

+1 THIS is how you teach quartering. The e-collar has nothing to do with it. It involves teaching, repetition, and experience.

Neither. I think you need to study up on what the purpose of a dog wearing an ecollar actually is. The collar will not teach the dog to quarter, you need to do that. The collar will re inforce what you have already taught the dog. I am not trying to be rude, but you are not listening, and seem to be hung up on using your e collar. Your dog is not collar conditioned and by continuing to use it you will only ruin your dog or your dog will never reach its potential. You need to follow a program.

Here is how I teach quartering. I have 2 helpers fanned out 20 yds to my left and right and about 5 yds in front of me. Each with about 5 dummies in hand. As we begin to slowly walk one of the helpers starts waving the dummy yelling hey hey hey getting the dog to run toward the dummy. As the dog gets there I use the twill of the whistle to turn the dog and the other helper start waving the dummy getting the dogs attention and encouraging the dog to run that direction. As the dog is turning I am giving an over with my hands. Then we just keep going back and forth. After a session or 2 we then randomly fire the training pistol and let the dog retrieve a dummy.

By now the dog is learning to quarter. We then graduate to frozen birds, then live shackled birds planted in the field, and then to shooting a live bird at the end of the field.

The dog has now learned to quarter a field and it has absolutely nothing to do with the e collar. Please by the dvd Fowl Dawgs by Rick Stawski. You can get it at gundog supply for about $20. Has a great feature on quartering. You have a lot of work to do before you even think about using that e collar.

This is spot on!

Back