Changing shot size more harm than good?

moellermd

Super Moderator
I guess I am a little confused about the changing shot size thing depending on the time of season. If I am shoot 7.5 in the early season I have the same pattern size as if I am shooting 4s. My pattern would just be denser. If the idea is that early season I am shooting closer birds I would want a wider pattern. By only changing to a smaller shot size I am doing more harm than good because I would have a much denser pattern and thus be putting more pellets in the bird. Am I missing something??

Every one talks about changing pellets size but does not seem to be concerned about there choke

Not sure what you mean about being confused on changing shot size. The idea of switching from 6's to 5's to 4's etc. is because as the season wears on, birds tend to flush a little farther out. As those shooting distances increase, the larger pellets will retain more energy. It is the same principal as heavier rifle bullets retaining more energy at long-range than lighter bullets.

Even though I tend to go to larger shot sizes as the season wears on, I stick with the I/C choke. It is mainly due to quick reflexes and keeping up with the "flusher" when the bird pops up.

Not sure what you mean about being confused on changing shot size. The idea of switching from 6's to 5's to 4's etc. is because as the season wears on, birds tend to flush a little farther out. As those shooting distances increase, the larger pellets will retain more energy. It is the same principal as heavier rifle bullets retaining more energy at long-range than lighter bullets.

Even though I tend to go to larger shot sizes as the season wears on, I stick with the I/C choke. It is mainly due to quick reflexes and keeping up with the "flusher" when the bird pops up.

I agree with heavier shot retaining more energy. But why would you go with a smaller shot size for closer up birds and use the same choke. If you feel the need for more/less range you should change chokes.

I agree with heavier shot retaining more energy. But why would you go with a smaller shot size for closer up birds and use the same choke. If you feel the need for more/less range you should change chokes.

I agree. I use to switch shot sizes also but years ago I went to shooting #5's all season, using IC for most of the season and maybe switching to Mod late in the season when the shots seem to be a little longer. But I can also see the benefit of using larger shot and a tighter choke if the birds are being shot at longer distances. This is just standard thinking, the longer the shots the tighter the choke needs to be. But then I've also killed a lot of pheasants at 40-60 yards with an IC choke.

But I can also see the benefit of using larger shot and a tighter choke if the birds are being shot at longer distances. This is just standard thinking, the longer the shots the tighter the choke needs to be.

Thats exactly the way it should be done in my mind. If you are going to change shot size a change in choke is also in order.

Thats exactly the way it should be done in my mind. If you are going to change shot size a change in choke is also in order.

That's the sensible approach. The pattern from 1 1/4 oz. of 5's start to get patchy at 40 yards with an IC choke, so I like a mod choke with 5's. I can get away with IC and 6 shot. Everything is a tradeoff, but you might as well try to get every little edge you can. They are tough birds. I'm not a proponent of 7 1/2's on pheasants. I know they kill very well within their range, but too many pellets in the meat!

I don't know what type gun you are shooting Mike. But I'll explain how I use my O/U. In the early season, I'm using a Brittany so most of my shots are close I use IC and Light Mod Choke. For shells I use straight 7 shot follow by a 6 shot in the LM. When the birds get wild and run out from the point and flush. I use Light Mod and Mod. But I do not change shells. I hope this helps you.......Bob

I will change to a mod or light mod if it conditions dictate. However, most of the season the I/C works just fine (for me), with most shots being 30-40 yards. As such, I tend to pass on the 50+ yard shots some hunters take. The reason to switch to the larger shot has more to do with the birds getting their thicker feathers in late season. As a result, 4's will break bones and anchor birds better than 6's.

Perhaps none of these factors pertain to where you hunt. But, 30+ years of experience in hunting SD and ND, with wild late-season birds in cold/nasty conditions, have taught some lessons.

I have been hunting pheasants for over 50 years. I consider 7.5 to be too small for SD birds. These are big birds with big bones. You want to kill them and you don't want to loose them. Also, small shot leaves lots of pellets in the bird. Small shot might work well on pen raised birds or in certain situations, but I consider it too small for overall hunting.

When shooting my O/U it is 5's first from a skeet barrel and then 4's from a modified. With my auto it is 2 5's and then 2 4's from an improved barrel. Because I still have a partial case of 6's, I sometimes use them, but prefer the 5's.

The reason to switch to the larger shot has more to do with the birds getting their thicker feathers in late season.

If I remember correctly from biology the additional feathers that birds get during winter is down. My personal thought is that it has more to do with range than a few extra down feathers. Does anyone have any actual info about a pheasants plumage change during winter?

I would add that the late season birds that are of the new hatch have fully developed featers verses in the earlier season. I shoot #5 Golden Pheasants year long and don't have a problem, but then again I will restrain from far out birds.

No biological data for you, only field experience. Whatever happens to their feathers etc. makes them harder to kill late in the season. We don't switch to 4's just to be stylish.

I would have to say late season birds usually develop a layer of fat under the skin and in my opinion that is what you guys are referring to. I have shot birds to closing day and have never seen thicker feathers, just a heavier amount of fat when cleaning them. Last year I shot 6 shot with extreme success using an improved modified choke mid season. I will be shooting it exclusively this season as there are more pellets in the pattern and I had less cripples than 5 shot. Best bet is to pattern your gun and find which load performs best and you will be much more successful in the field.

Pheasants Downier in Cold Weather

Seems that winter birds are downier than early season ones.

Back