change in tempermant

ljckr

I have 1yr old female GWP that i recently had fixed about amonth ago and now she is extremely aggressive to the male dog that shares her pen and they have been in the pen together for a couple of months prior to her getting fixed and they never had any issues but now she is always starting fights and seems to have become very territorial I have no idea what has brought this on except wen she got fixed help please:confused::confused:

I read an interesting article about this recently. Well, not this exactly, but about post fixing behavior. The idea of the whole thing was that these guys and gals are getting older and maturing. While we generally think they're changing based on losing their goods, it's mostly about the sexual maturation of the male and/or female. While I realize this doesn't help your issue, I do see that my 12mo pup is different than she was 2 months ago when she was spayed.

Hopefully someone with much more experience than me offers you some worthwhile advice. best of luck.

I have 1yr old female GWP that i recently had fixed about amonth ago and now she is extremely aggressive to the male dog that shares her pen and they have been in the pen together for a couple of months prior to her getting fixed and they never had any issues but now she is always starting fights and seems to have become very territorial I have no idea what has brought this on except wen she got fixed help please:confused::confused:

I've had several female hunting dogs (all of they spayed) and I have never seen any change, what so ever, in their behavior. Maybe someone else on this site was some insight into this issue.

What breed is the male dog? You might try keeping them separated for awhile to see if that helps. In the past there has been some history of aggression in the GWP breed, but I think for the most part that has been bred out. You might also check with the dog's breeder and see if there has been any aggression issues in the sire or dam, or their background. Just so your dog doesn't show that same aggression towards other dogs and/or people. Good luck.

the male is a gwp also ,we've had her for about 9 months and never has showed any aggression to any dog or anyone and these 2 dogs have been around each other for 6 months and have been in the same pen for about 3 months she started this behavior after being fixed so i have no clue what has happened.

It might just be a stage she is going through in maturing. I'm incline to think that it's just a coincidence that it showed up about the same time you had her spayed. I really don't think the spaying and the aggression are linked.

should i put a collar on her and shock her when she starts to be aggressive or just wait and see if it will pass

I would give it a little time and see if she stops on her own. I have some mixed feelings on using an e-collar. I guess if you need to correct her behavior the collar might be an option.

yes i was only looking at using the collar as a last resort so i guess i will wait and see hopefully she'll get over it quickly just cant tolerate this behavior though.

My daughter has a female lab that became aggressive towards other dogs after being spayed. My vet made it sound like it is fairly common. She was only aggressive towards my GWP, a younger male. She wasn't aggressive towards my male English Pointer. I think I would keep them in seperate kennels. Avoiding the tight quarters may help.

I think it could be a dominance thing. It just came time for her to show the other dogs she is the Queen Bee. Also seeing she has been fixed she does not want them jumping all over her. Watch for a male to lay one paw on her back and see what happens...........Bob

their pen is probably 40 x 60 with seperate dog houses , sometimes their fine playing and wrestling and then all of the sudden she gets real pissy i guess she could be trying to establishing her dominace ( my wife is still trying to establish hers :D) so i guess i let it ride for awhile

Back