Central/SE ND Area

AP2

Hello,

I have been lucky enough to have the chance to attend meetings in Fargo on Saturday, November 8, and plan to do a little upland hunting, and possibly waterfowl hunting, during my travels to take advantage of the great hunting opportunities that North Dakota offers. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in the area, nor do I have time to scout, so I was looking if you could offer me any information, places to go, or know of anyone who wouldn?t mind taking a few die-hards out to show them what North Dakota has to offer. I have researched the public land hunting that North Dakota offers (which I have to say is incredible compared to what we have here in Nebraska), but unfortunately it will just be myself, my friend, and his chocolate lab, and I fear the rolling plains of ND will be too much ground to cover with our small group. We will be arriving to ND on Thursday, November 6 after sunset, plan to hunt all day Friday, meetings Saturday morning followed by an afternoon of hunting, and then get some hunting in on Sunday before we head home.

So if you know anyone who could help us out in anyway, please let us know ? anything helps! We don?t want to steal anyone?s spots, and we pride ourselves on bringing a good name to hunters every time we go out by respecting the animals, land, and game of the sport. If you need more information feel free to comment or shoot me a PM.

Friday - Sunday that weekend in deer gun opener. Pheasant hunting even on public land will not be easy. Waterfowl hunting maybe easier. ND is unique in that big game seasons open at noon on a Friday. In this case, Friday, November 7th.

Public land will be busy. Many landowners only hunt deer - so they will be out too.

Fargo is in the RRV (wildlife desert). 50 - 100 mile drive to find decent hunting. Maybe further than that depending on weather, harvest, etc..

Last edited:
Brittman, I heard we would have problems finding a place to hunt due to rifle opening up that weekend which is unfortunate - all the more why I posted this plea for help. That noon start may end up being helpful if we do end up finding somewhere to hunt.

I also heard about how SE ND isn't ideal for upland hunting, but we are willing to drive a ways if need be to find birds/if someone helps us out.

I guess I would NOT hunt those three days. After that, deer hunting pressure in ND will fall off tremendously since many people have shot their deer. Others wait for the next weekend.

People will be staking claim to some public areas long before noon.

ND deer hunting is more often drives across these public areas - just like pheasant hunters.

If you do walk areas, expect a resident or two to park and watch you ... with gun ready in-case you push a deer out of cover.

People will need to dress according to the deer hunter regs. Dogs should be in blaze orange too.

I'm not sure I can pass up on an opportunity to hunt ND while I am in town, even with all of the pressure. Might be tough to find a spot, but might as well try. Thank you for all of the info Brittman, and I will definitely keep it all into consideration when I am in ND.

Pretty much have to drive at least an hour W of fargo to get into some ok pheasant numbers imo. At least to valley city if not a little more west. Yes Hettinger county in SW ND is probably the best spot in ND for numbers, but many other places you will find decent numbers. I will 2nd whats been said on gun deer season. I hunted deer opener for pheasants about 4 years ago. small trail by our house, never see any cars on this 5 prairie road. sometimes see one during pheasant season. We saw 7 or more each day... Crazy.

Also 2nd that there is quite a few addition rules to follow when hunting pheasants during this weekend.

Back