Carry your license on your smartphone device

Dakotazeb

I would also say take a screen shot of it and save it as a picture. Much easier to find if you do not have very good internet access or cell phone signal.

That's what they instruct you to do, take a screen shot and save it on your phone. Or if you do have the paper copy you can take a pic of it and save it on your phone.

I like the basic idea but I think I'll have a paper copy too.

I'm reminded of the time I called my hunting partner who was at the other end of a quarter. The phone rang in the deep grass at my feet; he dropped it getting back into his vehicle to go to the other end of the field. i doubt we'd have ever found it if I had not decided to call him and ask him a question before we moved out of hearing range.

I think carrying a paper copy also would be a good idea. But usually my paper copies end up pretty ratty by the end of the season. I always have my cell phone with me.

Well, I admit that most seasons I hunt in the 20-30 day range in SD, so I get a new paper license every 10 days. That helps. Also I keep the paper copy in one of those little Cabela's green plastic license folders. I put that in a little sealed plastic snack bag and put that in an inside zipper pocket in my bird vest. Essentially waterproof and wear proof. It's been working for me. YMMV.

well, i admit that most seasons i hunt in the 20-30 day range in sd, so i get a new paper license every 10 days. That helps. Also i keep the paper copy in one of those little cabela's green plastic license folders. I put that in a little sealed plastic snack bag and put that in an inside zipper pocket in my bird vest. Essentially waterproof and wear proof. It's been working for me. Ymmv.

what license? We have to buy a license?

I have done this the last 2 years and both years have been stopped by a CO and it was really slick, he pulled out his little scanner and scanned my screen and that was it. Took all of 5 seconds and he knew my license was legal and valid for those dates. He stated that about 25% of the hunters he checked the last 2yrs had been using this method and he said that he preferred it over paper copies.

My dad and I got checked this weekend before going afield. After they left my dad asked me why they never asked for our drivers licenses. We got to thinking about it and neither of us could recall the last time we had either our fishing or hunting licenses cross checked with our ID's. Kind of made us think about that. I would guess between hunting and fishing this year I've been checked five times or so. Who's to say you are who you say you are and didn't just borrow the license from a buddy. Just found that to be interesting. They didn't even bother to scan either one of them either.

Back