Canadian Rye in CRP seed mixes

Rude One

I am looking at putting in some CRP this spring and almost all of the seed mixes have Canadian Rye and Indian grass in them. There is a pretty good understanding out there that the Rye for sure and most likely the Indian grass can kill hunting dogs and yet they are still putting them in the CRP mixes. I had to get it specially mixed to exclude the Rye which then ends up costing you more. Has anyone else ran into this and why has this not been addressed? Just curious if others out there have planted CRP and had these same questions or issues.

I've heard of Canada wildrye causing problems but never Indian Grass. We still include those species in our mixes. We have been planting high diversity seedings for 10 plus years and have yet had a problem or complaint from any dog owner. Probably been planting Canada Wildrye for well over 20 plus years. We maybe closing in on 7-10 thousand acres as well plus I hunt that stuff with my own dogs. My personal opinion is its overblown. No less traumatic to the dog owner. I am sure its terrible.

You are probably correct that for the majority of the time nothing will happen. I have heard many tales of peoples dogs either dying, being extremely sick, or losing eyes to these awns. As for Indian grass you are probably correct. I was thinking of cheat grass and foxtail. There are some forum discussions on here of people talking about the issue. I just wish you could have an easier way to have the option of not having canadian rye in their prepackaged mixes. Thanks for the response. Below is an old article from gundogmag about the awn issues in dogs.

https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/health_nutrition_gd_grassawns_0809/176243

If you dont want that type of grass in your mix can you substitute in Slender, Bearded, Green needle, really any cool season grass? Maybe those species are already included?

Canadian Wild Rye is a dog killer. Not overblown. There are people on this site that have lost dogs to this. The Springer guy from the Alex area (don't think he posts anymore) was a pretty big foe to this material being planted.

I would contact Pheasants Forever headquarters and the local regional biologist and let them know.

Back