Can you help with what's in the crop

Bob Peters

I cleaned what may well be my last rooster of the season today. He was a young bird considering I got him a few days ago, not a long tail at all. I got him with my second barrel, not a real good shot. He had a pellet in the leg, one in the back, one in the breast, and one through the mid wing joint. Anyways, here's a picture of the seeds I found in the crop. 20240110_140204.jpg

Now I need a one bird recipe.

Where was that bird harvested? Sorghum is round about the size of BBs, millet similar but smaller. Guessing that is either oats, barley or wheat.

I cleaned what may well be my last rooster of the season today. He was a young bird considering I got him a few days ago, not a long tail at all. I got him with my second barrel, not a real good shot. He had a pellet in the leg, one in the back, one in the breast, and one through the mid wing joint. Anyways, here's a picture of the seeds I found in the crop. View attachment 7291

Now I need a one bird recipe.

One bird recipe-

IMG_9317.jpeg

I got this pheasant in north central Iowa on a public spot. There is an old food plot there with sorghum or milo. That being said it hasn't been replanted in prolly 3 years and when I walked it I did not see any of it left, not even really old stalks. I should have thrown a dime in the photo for a size reference, I didn't think of that, was in a hurry! The bird was in some light crp grass, I think we caught him walking it at 2pm or so.

I got this pheasant in north central Iowa on a public spot. There is an old food plot there with sorghum or milo. That being said it hasn't been replanted in prolly 3 years and when I walked it I did not see any of it left, not even really old stalks. I should have thrown a dime in the photo for a size reference, I didn't think of that, was in a hurry! The bird was in some light crp grass, I think we caught him walking it at 2pm or so.
I thought Iowa, didn’t think there’d be wheat there? I suppose there’s a variety of food sources within a mile or two…

Either wheat or barley. Probably flying and feeding with someones domestic birds if there are no wheat fields nearby.

I was thinking someone's food plot, as those grains are not common in Iowa. Another explanation, it could be seeds from a farmer who had broadcast seeded a cover crop, which is becoming more common.

Last edited:
Back