Camera in the field

LoneRooster

I love being outdoors and I love hunting, I love taking pictures of my hunts in the blind or in the field or of the dogs and ofcourse of the game almost as much as I enjoy the hunts themselves. To me the pictures become my trophies and serve as my memories. I have always used my cell phone but realized its not the greatest at taking pictures. I was wondering if anyone has a good digital camera they recommend that might be waterproof or resistant and sturdy to stand up to field conditions and also light to not be a burden to carry. Any input would be appreciated!

There are a ton of point and shoots that fit the bill as to being light, inexpensive, and taking good pictures. Olympus makes one that is waterproof (took it scuba diving actually in Jamaica) and I'm sure there are others out now. Somebody else makes one with an 18x or 20x optical zoom which comes in handy out in the field. You want all the optical zoom you can afford, digital zoom does nothing but blow the pixels up, making the picture grainy.

I used to carry a point and shoot in the field, but missed a lot of shots due to the camera booting up and the game being gone by the time it was focused and ready for a shot.

Then I bought my wife a Nikon D40 DSLR. The D40 is getting quite a bit of age on it now, but still works great out in the pheasant fields. Yeah, it is bigger than a P&S, but I just hang it by the neck strap and it doesn't seem to interfere. With a DSLR you get the benefit of switching lenses depending on if you want to reach out and take some distance pics, or be inside taking family gathering pics. Boot-up is nearly instant, so a flick of the thumb switch and pictures are taken nearly instantly. The DSLR lens focuses a lot faster than the P&S's I've been around as well.

The problem with an old DSLR like the D40 is then your wife gets into taking pictures, and the next thing you know she has dropped $1500 on a new camera body, and then lens start adding up as well. She has taken enough family/senior pics to pay for all her extras, so I guess it is ok.......

There are a ton of point and shoots that fit the bill as to being light, inexpensive, and taking good pictures. Olympus makes one that is waterproof (took it scuba diving actually in Jamaica) and I'm sure there are others out now. Somebody else makes one with an 18x or 20x optical zoom which comes in handy out in the field. You want all the optical zoom you can afford, digital zoom does nothing but blow the pixels up, making the picture grainy.

I used to carry a point and shoot in the field, but missed a lot of shots due to the camera booting up and the game being gone by the time it was focused and ready for a shot.

Then I bought my wife a Nikon D40 DSLR. The D40 is getting quite a bit of age on it now, but still works great out in the pheasant fields. Yeah, it is bigger than a P&S, but I just hang it by the neck strap and it doesn't seem to interfere. With a DSLR you get the benefit of switching lenses depending on if you want to reach out and take some distance pics, or be inside taking family gathering pics. Boot-up is nearly instant, so a flick of the thumb switch and pictures are taken nearly instantly. The DSLR lens focuses a lot faster than the P&S's I've been around as well.

The problem with an old DSLR like the D40 is then your wife gets into taking pictures, and the next thing you know she has dropped $1500 on a new camera body, and then lens start adding up as well. She has taken enough family/senior pics to pay for all her extras, so I guess it is ok.......

Cheesy, was the olympus a tg-1? I too was looking for something different but don't know really where to start. The tg-1 tg-2 looks like one the better ones? Screen brightness ???

Any advice appreciated!

The Olympus we've got is a Stylus 1050 SW (I think I got that right). It is several years old now. Had no issues with it. I'm sure its been obsoleted 5 times at least since we bought it.

Any advice appreciated!

My honest advice is call Neil or Doug at Camera Land New York www.cameralandny.com and tell them what you're wanting to do and ask what they recommend. Super nice guys that advertise on some of the major outdoor/gun forums (24hourcampfire, predatormasters, etc). I've bought a camera from them (the above mentioned Olympus), a DSLR lens, and family members have bought binoculars and scopes from them.

Brother in law was on the fence about which set of binoculars to buy, they shipped him both sets to look through, he shipped the other back, and then they charged him after he decided. I have seen nothing but praise for them. They usually will group a product and several accessories together and give you a discounted package deal. Tell them how you heard about them.

The point and shoot cameras with some optical zoom of 10X or more works well for me. I have a panosonic that is a couple years old that I use during hunting season.

thanks for the advice everyone.. I had been looking at the olympus tg1 and tg2. Seem like sturdy cameras that will hold up well. I will reach out to your contact in new york. thanks again.

Back