California Quail

oldandnew

Great photo of a California quail on the Bing home page. That bird is almost to pretty to shoot! or clean, on the other handle they are real good to eat, taste a hint of nuts, acorns I imagine. All the rest of North American quail, all handsome, brave, predictable, and hard to shoot! A devotee, hunts other birds, but the quail will always be the favorite.

They are definitely a treat to hunt and flourish in the smallest bit of cover. A couple years of of good spring weather will produce mind boggling covey sizes in good habitat. I've shot plenty of quail with craws full of acorns but they especially love elderberry where available. IMO the california quail cock bird rivals a ringneck rooster in beauty.:cheers:

The California Quail in my opinion is the at the top of the list of all game birds in North America. I wish they were over here in NE Montana.

The California Quail in my opinion is the at the top of the list of all game birds in North America. I wish they were over here in NE Montana.

I'll meet you halfway, I love hunting new ground and I love hunting quail. I figure we could find a few somewhere in the Owyhees.:cheers:

Last edited:
Just let me know when, however it will probably have to be next year as I am pretty well tied up with a ND trip over thanksgiving and our SD pilgrimage, I remember the first covey I ever saw, I couldn't even get my gun up, they are seemingly twice as fast as a Hun, I just stood there like the confused old man I am and thought to myself, man these are the fastest birds I've ever seen in my life.

Sounds good, maybe I'll even be able to find that covey of huns I've been dreaming about up there.:cheers:

Back