Cajun Boil

BleuBijou

Want to do a Cajun Boil 2nd week of August, was wondering if anyone had a favorite recipe? What kind of sausage should I use etc. Any help would be great!!:cheers:

We do a few crawdad boils a year, you inspired me to go set my traps. I just do crawdads, sausage, red potatoes, corn, celery and some cajun boil seasoning. Sounds good! :10sign::cheers:

Try looking up Justin Wilson. He used to have a show called Louisiana cooking. There are cookbooks and recipes you can get that could give you ideas from his website. Phil

Any idea's gentlemen on what sausage I should use, that I might find here in Colo??? I was thinking smoked German or Hot Links???:cheers:

I've had friends do the german and the spicy italian sausage in a cajun boil. Those friends that did this are from the western Tenn. area.....Phil

Thanks Phil, Got all my traps ready to go. Olathe Sweet corn is now in season here, the best corn on the planet, so it should go over well!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Andouille sausage is the traditional sausage. Now you have me thinking. I'm going to make a big Booyah(our name for Gumbo) for one of our upcoming big weekend get together's. Nothing is in stone when it comes to any of these soups, boils, gumbo's, booyha's, Etc. The sky is the limit. The thicker and spicier the better. Turtle, pork, beef, venison, chicken, duck, goose, coon..anything. Lots of fresh veggies..sea food you name it.

Fresh hot bread from the oven smothered in butter is always good to go with it.

Hey, If you guys North of the Mason Dixon Line want to have a real cajun boil, start with about forty pounds of crawfish or a hamper of crabs, 10 lbs. of red potatoes, whole garlic, mushrooms,sweet corn on the cob, whole onions and a good brand of smoked sausage{ Manda is very good but might only be a LA. product}. You can also use a good brand of wieners. Andouille sausage is only used in gumbos down here{ Louisiana} Add Louisiana Crawfish and Crab boil till it looks and tastes like molten lava. Add salt till your lips pucker and let her rip!
Add all the ingredients except crawfish / crabs and bring water to a rolling boil. Add crawfish or crabs and when water comes back to a boil, shut if off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes{soaks up all the seasoning} Drain water, and pour on a long table with lots of paper towels and cold beer.
Folks , thats what us Coonasses in La. Call " Passing a good time"!!:thumbsup:
Will be glad to cook for a good bird hunt !!

Hey, If you guys North of the Mason Dixon Line want to have a real cajun boil, start with about forty pounds of crawfish or a hamper of crabs, 10 lbs. of red potatoes, whole garlic, mushrooms,sweet corn on the cob, whole onions and a good brand of smoked sausage{ Manda is very good but might only be a LA. product}. You can also use a good brand of wieners. Andouille sausage is only used in gumbos down here{ Louisiana} Add Louisiana Crawfish and Crab boil till it looks and tastes like molten lava. Add salt till your lips pucker and let her rip!
Add all the ingredients except crawfish / crabs and bring water to a rolling boil. Add crawfish or crabs and when water comes back to a boil, shut if off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes{soaks up all the seasoning} Drain water, and pour on a long table with lots of paper towels and cold beer.
Folks , thats what us Coonasses in La. Call " Passing a good time"!!:thumbsup:
Will be glad to cook for a good bird hunt !!

This sounds like the REAL DEAL!! Thanks cajun I'm gonna do this.
We have crawfish up here, don't think it's the same critter.
Do you just throw the crawfish in whole?
Can't think of a better meal for a bunch of hungry bird hunters.:cheers:

CajunBoil

Yep, you throw 'em in whole. When done, you do the Cajun thing.Pull them apart and "suck the head and pinch the tail"
I doubt very seriously that the crawfish you have up there are the same we have down here.
Of course, you folks are learning what us cajuns have known all our lives. Crawfish are good to eat. That's why the price have skyrocketed for us down here. We're shipping them all up North and all over the world.
Have a good one:cheers:

Cajun, Me my brother and a couple friends somehow got tickets for Super Bowl IV,? any way it ways Jan 12 1975. Steelers vs Vikings.
Game sucked:confused::eek:
Anyway one of the things was, to eat.:)
We had stuff you don't get in Northern MN. We had no idea how to go about a whole crab on the plate. Folks helped us out. We got into it.
And of course we had the "ALL YOU CAN EAT CRAWDAD" :10sign::)
Well! good stuff, hungry guys can go threw a lot.:cool: I look forward to it again someday.

That's egg-zactly how Coon-asses did it when I was in Loosiana years ago . . . and it was ALWAYS good! First time I did it up here, my Son asked why I didn't dump it on a table. I told him . . . "cuz I don't want a dog that smells like spicy shrimp."

Thanks guy's!! Cajun , I have heard some people turn off the heat and throw in ice to help the spices absorb or should I just let soak after I turn off the heat? Might be up for some good eats while bird hunting or up at Elk camp!!!:cheers:

Thanks guy's!! Cajun , I have heard some people turn off the heat and throw in ice to help the spices absorb or should I just let soak after I turn off the heat? Might be up for some good eats while bird hunting or up at Elk camp!!!:cheers:

I would be camp dishwasher for eats like that.

CajunBoil

Hey guys,
If you ever get down to Baton Rouge, drop me a line and the crawfish and beer are on me.Don't drop any though, my Brittanys love 'em and there are no feathers to get in their mouth!
In addition to letting 'em soak. you can also add ice as suggested, it speeds up the process a little bit. Either way, the trick is to let the crawfish sink back down into the water. This is when you know the seasoning has been soaked up.:cheers:

Everything was awesome!!!! Thanks for all the help!! Caught 350 crawfish!!!

IMG_5194.jpg
IMG_5203.jpg

Man,
Looks like I've created a monster. Good job. 350 down here is just a snack.35 lbs. is more like the real thing.
Had no idea you guys had crawfish in CO.
Thanks for the photos:thumbsup:

WOW! that looks awesome. A real feed bag..I like puttin on the feed bag

Back