Cabelas Boots

BritChaser

Noticed Cabelas online is selling some Danner boots for $159 that retail for as high as $269. I love mine.

Bought a pair of Danner Sharptails several years back. Gave about 150-160 for them. I took them and tennis shoes to Disney last fall break. I wore the Danner's 4 of the 7 days. They are,to this day, the most expensive shoes/boots I've every purchased...NO REGRETS.

I can not find any American made boots in any of the local stores in my area.
In my search I stopped in at Dick's Sporting Goods here in Colorado Springs, the sales associate told me the majority of Danner Boots are made 100% in China, the balance of their boots although state "Made in America" are only final assemblied in the US... I am currently in search of a pair of an American Made Boot Comapany that will give me atleast a 7 day try-out period.
I really like LL Beans policy: "If you are ever disastified with any product from us, feel free to return it to us for a full refund, no questions asked". I know from experience they do stand behind this, as I did purchased a pair of boots from them (not made in US). I wore them everyday outside for 4 months, although they were not fitting perfect I thought if kept wearing them they will eventually break in (I really hate returning stuff, but I hate worse throwing $220 pus down the drain). Well, after 4 months they weren't getting any better and I took them up on their satisfaction guarantee, (fully expecting them to tell me their is some fine print print somewhere that would disqualify me from their generous policy). To my unexpected surprise they stood behind their policy 100% and issued a full refund.
I have found several American Made Boot companies online, the problem is: So far not one of them is willing to give any type of comfort guarantee.:mad: They will take them back, but only in brand new condition.:confused: I don't know about anybody else out there, but I find it impossibel to tell if a pair of boots is going to work 8-10 hours a day in the field, by trying them on for 10-15 minutes wearing them around the house.
The Unions & such...Keep preaching "BUY AMERICAN" and I am all for that. However, I will not "BUY AMERICAN" if the attitude is: WE REALLY DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH OUR PRODCT!! I am finding US companies make it very difficult for us to spend money with them!:confused: I am not opposed to paying the higher price for US made, but I also expect a higher level of customer satisfaction. I am going to research LL Bean one more time to see if in fact they carry any US made boots that appeal to me.
OK, my rant is done.

I will sign off with this tid bit of humor::)Last year for CHRISTmas I purchased a burial plot for my mother-in-law. I recently told my wife I don't think I will be buying anything for her mother this year for CHRISTmas. With a tone of irritation my wife asked: WHY NOT! I responded with: SHE HASN'T USED THE GIFT I GOT FOR HER LAST YEAR YET! (The Doc says I might be ready (no promises) to be able to walk by the season opener):cheers:
Have a great and blessed day.
PS....You know I Love You Mom...It is only humor!

Last edited:
6 years ago my then fiance bought me a pair of Danner Pronghorns. Awesome comfort, chinese made. Most comfortable pair of boots I ever owned, but i wore them out over the next 5 years or so. I replaced them with another pair of the updated Pronghorns, not quite as comfortable, but still beats the Irish Setters I'd tried to force myself to wear.

This fall I bought a pair of the Danner Hawk, made in USA boots. Hunted elk in Colorado last week in them, no complaints whatsoever.

My feet are hard to fit boots to, as each heel has a large bump protruding out the back, so far I'm 3 for 3 with the Danners not causing issues with me, can't say as much with 2 pair of Irish Setters and a pair of Rockies that killed me to wear.

As to "Made in USA" or "Made in USA of imported components", I don't know which category Danner falls into. Their literature doesn't say anything about imports. I believe there is even a federal law that says if a certain percentage of the components is made outside the US, that you can't mark it as being made in the USA.

Another thing to think of, at one point I'd read that the majority of tanneries in the country had shut down due to EPA regulations, forcing most leather used here in the states to be tanned in countries that didn't have as strict environmental regulations. Could have just been pure rumor though.

Back