Busting cats...

Great day. 34 degrees, sunny, 5-6 mph wind...perfect weather for busting cats. Jazz made short work of it...three birds pointed, three shots...time to head home. Jazz pointed a hen and almost caught her in mid air as she flushed. Mouthful of tail...feathers. On the way to retrieve her last bird she kept getting distracted...birds would flush with just about every step she took. Wore very little energy off her. Proud papa day. Since Scout didn't get to hunt promised him we would try it tomorrow. :cheers:

Got Scout out for his make up hunt from yesterday. He didn't get out of the truck at all yesterday. Walked 300 yards of crick cattails. Three points...three shots...three roosters...back home in plenty of time for Bears vs Vikes.:cheers:

No sun. No mid 30s. No wind. No snow. No long walks. No private land. No boot leather burned. Three birds in a hour. Jazz more just a ball of energy than a hunter today. Think her second walk would have been better but she never got one. Did get one over her and she did make a nice find. Got our second bird over me walking back to the truck...Jazz was out burning off energy running in the stubble. Third bird over Scout...he did an excellent job of trailing broken wing bird. I had just decided that he had lost the trail when he pounced and grabbed the old boy. Time for a brew.

Lol...indeed...here is one more you will read on the FB page soon.

Jazz was back to being a hunter today. Scout had his oddball Dawg moments but was good as well. Not many roosters to be found though. Jazz pointed about 12 hens. One rooster that I shot. One that refused to get up. I finally just picked it up and wrung its neck. Figured it for a cripple...upon cleaning...not a bb in it. Scout pointed a half dozen hens and a couple coveys of partridge. Also pointed a rooster that refused to get up. Figured another cripple...yes and no. Looked like a Yote raked both sides of his breast with his teeth when the bird jumped at some point in the last day or maybe two. Odd day.

Got a great Christmas present this AM. Autumn was feeling good enough to get out for a little lite hunting. No birds for her but Le Grande Dame of our dogs was running and jumping and having a party. Brought her home to rest and then took Jazz and Scout out. Saw a ton of birds. Mostly from a distance. They each got to point several hens and two roosters each. Jazz also pointed a covey of Huns. Three roosters came home and one Hun. My excuse for missing the one rooster...and having to bust some more cats...trying to keep my leg dry as the ice broke beneath me...my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Merry Christmas.

Back