Browning Twelvette Double Auto

reddog

Anybody else have one of these?

I really like the gun, but absolutely despise the safety. I dont shoot it enough to get used to it.

It was a gift to me from my 5th grade teacher....40 years later.

Double auto

While I don't own one, I had a few friends that did and they loved em. The Twentyweights were really prized by grouse and woodcock hunters. They came in a couple of different colors, you can usually find them on Gunbrokers. The loading port on the left side was also used on the Browning 2000. Find an extra barrel cut in off to 24" in will be a grouse killing machine. Good luck.http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mine has a silver reciever, and unfortunately, a Herters multi-choke banana on the end of the barrel.

I have problems adapting to the safety placement, so dont take it hunting as much as I should.

They are a pretty sweet "niche gun" and not very expensive.

Interesting read there Kismet. Extremely interesting is the review of the safety device. Maybe I should give it another go.

I think Browning was ahead of their time and really on to something with the 20 weight guns. aluminum recievers were radical in their day, common weight savers now, balanced like a double', graceful small Prince of Wales grip. the external trigger block is actually easier once you get used to it, and much more accessable to hunters like small women and kids, who can reach it easier, especially with the smaller daintier grip. I have had individual guns which weigh less than 6#'s. look for cracks around the barrel reciever junction, it's from misadjusted guns firing heavy loads, resulting in over recoil travel of the barrel. Same with the M-59 Winchester.

I decided to let the Double Auto ride shotgun with me this weekend to South Dakota.

I will let you know how she behaves when I get back.

Browningdoubleauto.jpg

I guess mine is not a Twelvette, as it doesnt have it inscribed above the reciever where Ive seen it on other guns. I think its the same gun, but maybe a previous version or later version than the Twelvette.

It is made in Belgium, though.

Well, It still shoots.

ElliePhez3.jpg

DSCN0021.JPG

I rediscovered what I didnt like about the safety. When you carry the gun over your shoulder, your shoulder tends to move the safety from a safe position to a fire position on its own.

I dont think it would ever be a problem on a range, because the gun would never be over your shoulder, but in a field condition...

Last edited:
Back