Browning BT99

reddog

A friend of mine has a BT99, which is a single barrel, single shot, typically a trap gun. (and a great one at that).. He wants to buy a Beretta 686 20 guage and possibly sell the BT 99, or trade it in.

The only problem I see with this, is that his BT99 is choked skeet. Why would Browning even build a Skeet choked single shot? Skeet choke would certainly not be your first choice, even from the 16 yard line when shooting trap, and you wouldnt use a single shot on the skeet range.

Can someone help my understand how you would utilize this gun if you owned it?

Does this combination make the gun worth less value, because of the use factor, or more valuable because it has to be a rarity.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
R

Why would Browning even build a Skeet choked single shot?
R

If your talking about a BT-99, they don't.. Is it a fixed choke or choke tube model?
Recent BT-99's come with Invector Plus choke systems.

If fixed, is it possible that someone had a smith open up the choke?

Does this combination make the gun worth less value, because of the use factor, or more valuable because it has to be a rarity.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
R

If it is indeed a skeet choke or the choke has been opened up to a skeet, it will be worth much less IMO. BT-99 is a trap specific designed gun. Not many trap shooters I would think would want such a gun..

I have not seen the gun to verify, but its something that I will. He says he has never shot it, it was handed down to him by his dad. Its a fixed choke, and im 99% positive that it hasnt been modified. Possibly he is mistaken by the letterings. Would an older BT99 have the same style markingslike this/

(*) = Full

(*-) = IM

(**) = MOD

(**-) = IC

(**$) = SK

(***) = CYL

Im guessing that the choke marking is *- and he is misreading it as a skeet, not knowing there was an improved modified.

Ill see if I can get my hands on it tonight.

Im guessing that the choke marking is *- and he is misreading it as a skeet, not knowing there was an improved modified.

Ill see if I can get my hands on it tonight.

This is correct. I have the same markings on my 1971 BT99. A star with a line under it is choked improved modified. Skeet? No way in a trap gun.

Visually inspected the gun. 34inch Improved modified it is. I may take it off his hands:). Value in the $1,100 range you think? It's a nice piece.

Visually inspected the gun. 34inch Improved modified it is. I may take it off his hands:). Value in the $1,100 range you think? It's a nice piece.

Depending on condition, I gave $600.00 for mine and it is in good condition.

Back