Browning A5 - Light vs regular??

jonnyB

A gun question:

What is the difference in a Browning A5 "light" shotgun vs a regular gun?

How is light accomplished - stock? metal?

Thanks.

Not sure where they cut the weight to make it a light but the following chart will give you some info on weights.

a5wt1.jpg

Jon, this is what I found on another site. Not sure if it's right or not but it sounds reasonable.

Browning added the Light Weight 12 gauge to the line in 1946. Like the Sweet Sixteen, the Light Weight 12 is simply a lighter version of the Standard weight gun. Basically, weight is removed from the barrel ring by drilling three holes in it; the rib on vent rib barrels is narrower; the receiver has additional milling; and the buttstock has more wood removed. Early Lightweight 12s and Sweet Sixteens were finished with gold-plated triggers and safeties (until 1951), but there is no other visible feature that distinguishes them from their Standardweight cousins. Beginning in 1948-1949, the left sides of the receivers for the Light Weight models were engraved with the name "Sweet Sixteen" or "Light Twelve."

Thanks, George. Wonder if there's an additional perceived kick with the lighter gun?

I changed my A5: all black plastic, forend and rear stock. This reduced the weight to 7.4 lb. You may recall I added a forend pistol grip and a grip under the trigger, so I can get the gun up. Plastic holds the screws better than wood. It's ugly, but shoots well.

Removing both grips the gun could weigh 7-7.2?

Jon

Everything else being equal a lighter gun typically has more felt recoil than a heavier gun. However unless you plan on puttjn a steady diet of 3" magnum ammo thru it I doubt it will cause you much of problem. Even the lightweight version still pushes the mid to upper 7 LB range which is not really that light when compared to other autoloaders.

One of my hunting partners had an A5 Light many years ago- he loves to say that they only "light " thing about it was the colour of the wood!:laugh:
DHT

None of the A5's were light weight guns by today's standards. But then few of today's guns were milled from a solid block of steel. When I hold my Sweet Sixteen in my hands and look at the engraving in the metal if just feels like a fine, quality piece of work.

What size shell do you change the friction settings - adding the piece above the spring?

Last week I was shooting sporting clay's and accidently shot a 1.25 oz. shell. The gun kicked and moved the safety on! Now I'm concerned about installing a new/used safety...always something!

Will try it again with the proper setting - to see if the safety moves.

I think anytime you shoot shells that contain less that 1.25 oz. of shot (12 ga.) that you probably need to switch the friction rings. If the gun seems to kick too much with a 1.25 oz. load and you have the rings in the proper position you probably need to replace the rings and recoil spring. Also make sure you don't have too much lubricant on the magazine tube.

Properly set, the A5 should be one of the lighter recoiling autos.

I'm not following what you are saying about the safety?? :confused:

I have several A5's. One of which is a magnum duck gun. I just always assumed that the difference between the A5's was one was a magnum (3" chambered) and the other was 2 2/4 inch chambered and referred to as a "light" A5.

I have several A5's. One of which is a magnum duck gun. I just always assumed that the difference between the A5's was one was a magnum (3" chambered) and the other was 2 2/4 inch chambered and referred to as a "light" A5.

Your assumption would be incorrect. Before they made the Magnum there was the Standard and the Light. So there are actually 3 different 12 ga. A5's.

Regards the safety moving: my gun was mfg. circa 1942. The safety is inside the trigger guard and it moved to safe, when I accidently shot a magnum shell with the ring setup for low base - target loads.

The safety shifted on its own. I does seem to be loose - free to move. Apparently there is a ball bearing under the safety that rides on a dedent.

The above episode happened twice while hunting last week, on the second shot. This occurred with 1.25 oz. shells, without the ring installed.

Am wondering if the ring setup may have caused the gun to kick more than normal. I'm sure a new safetyu would solve the problem $$$.

Jon I dont own an A5 but are sure the ball bearing in not a pin that is drilled into the safety and rides on an internal spring. I know that my explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense...maybe someone can explain it better. I could post a picture of a safety off another gun if it helps.

I was wrong. Here is a link I found though. On the safety.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515692

Last edited:
Thanks, Browndog. I read the same message and it sounded like a bearing.

Another post indicated a bearing, available from Browning for $1 - $80 to install. They won't sell the bearing only...

I ordered aother safety on Ebay and will compare to mine.

I had this happen to my Browning Gold and the gunsmith somehow tightened the safety. No charge! Different safety, however.

Back