Broods

anyone seeing any broods yet?

I don't see how any nest would have hatched at all, at least in Rush, Barton, Pawnee counties. A couple of these towns are still under water. Some of the people here in their 80's say it has been the worst rain they have ever seen. And the timing could not have been any worse. And I am just taking rain, some of the areas has significant hail.

I don't see how any nest would have hatched at all, at least in Rush, Barton, Pawnee counties. A couple of these towns are still under water. Some of the people here in their 80's say it has been the worst rain they have ever seen. And the timing could not have been any worse. And I am just talking rain, some of the areas has significant hail.

if there are any viable nests left, it is a bit too early to expect to see any chicks. i agree with westbow, this will be worse than the drought years for reproduction.....guessing down 80% from last season, in the prime areas.

Last edited:
if there are any viable nests left, it is a bit too early to expect to see any chicks. i agree with westbow, this will be worse than the drought years for reproduction.....guessing down 80% from last season, in the prime areas.

80 percent I doubt that. I bet some pheasants hatched in the western third of the state. If they have to renest the wheats is tall enough they will cut right over the top of them.

I talked to a cousin of mine in NWK the other day. He hadn’t seen any broods at the time, but has seen several nests, and said that conditions look good. He is expecting a good hatch and so am I.

I did see my first brood of quail in SEK last week. Mama and around a dozen little ones walking a dirt road on my family farm.

Last edited:
For the counties I mentioned that is a fair assessment. Hopefully Troy weighs in but his assessment he mentioned earlier was spot on with what we are assuming. I believe he mentioned losing the brooding females as well. Quail should be okay as they don't nest til later. Farmers are telling me harvest may be in July.

A little over 2 inches of rain Saturday night so there is going to be a lot of farmers who won't get any Milo in now. Many did not get corn in and those that did lost some of it to flooding. Just been really bad.

I don't see how any nest would have hatched at all, at least in Rush, Barton, Pawnee counties. A couple of these towns are still under water. Some of the people here in their 80's say it has been the worst rain they have ever seen. And the timing could not have been any worse. And I am just taking rain, some of the areas has significant hail.

Lol. You are still killing off all the birds I see so nobody gives you any competition. How about the deer and turkeys, you do the same on other sites with them. The wheat harvest will be a couple weeks late which is good for the pheasant. Most of the western third of Kansas hasn't had really bad hail but has had rain which is good for the weeds and cover. I know some guys who think their wheat may be as good as it has ever been, but like I said a couple weeks late. Good wheat almost alway equals a good hatch, especially with a later harvest. And yes, I know of some broods already being seen. Even if in some areas the broods have been flooded out as you say, there is plenty of time to renest. An with the rain, good cover and bugs that comes with both, they should be good.

I think the decoder ring for 2019 is broken. Not sure anyone will be willing to make any early predictions on nesting success this year. I am seeing male bobwhites almost daily. I guess that is better than seeing hens. Our rain here has slowed down some this month over last. I had 15.74 inches in May. I've only had 4.03 so far in June with the largest day total 1.74 on the 16th. Anything that nested or tried to in the bottom of any drainages undoubtedly suffered significant losses. I hope that the entire nesting attempt is delayed and with the harvest also delayed, we still can have hope. If late nests are significant, we can overcome the early hurdles. If not, it will be a skimpy year. Way too many variables right now to give it a name!

I drove the roads Saturday evening and saw 4 hens. 2 were with roosters and 2 by themselves, no broods. Just under 6 inches of rain for June. They have been spread out and nice slow rains. Harvest has not started yet but if the rain holds off tomorrow I would think mid to late week it will start. Wheat that didn't get washed out looks good, but there are several flat fields and some still under water.

A friend who hunts Western KS said his farmer is seeing huge numbers while cutting wheat. Lots of broods and large broods.
I am hearing similar reports from friends that farm out west. Best hatch in years according to those I’ve talked to. Things are also looking great here in SEK for quail. I’m seeing and hearing quail every day, everywhere I go. Sure gets a guy anxious for the fall!

Yes they are seeing lots of broods in the wheat. A good wheat harvest, and a late wheat harvest both bodes well for chick numbers. The wheat is also tall which is also good. I am going out later this week to set up some trail cams, and I will drive around scouting mornings and evenings.

Different reports here than further west. Talked to 2 farmers, one last night who was cutting his last field, and neither has seen a brood.

Hearing lots of quail around here. Doesn’t really mean much I suppose. Was East of Lincoln Nebraska last month at a hunt test and saw a few roosters and heard lots of quail calling and quail on the roads.

Saw my first pheasant chick today. I was walking in to pull the card on my trail camera and up he flew. Only one but at least I saw one. Talked to one farmer who said they never saw a single brood during harvest in Rush county.

Things are really looking good for the quail here in SEK. I’m seeing and hearing birds all over the place. Flushed a nice sized covey yesterday that had a whole bunch of little ones in it. I was up near Hiawatha last week doing some work on a goose pit that we have and was even hearing lots of quail up there.

Rode out with my son yesterday to pick up 2 bulls near my hunting ground. Saw several roosters and some hens and young ones. Also saw a lot of hail damage around my favorite area. Not going to say it’s good or bad just saying I saw some birds.

Been doing some early scouting for doves. I’m seeing nice sized broods and quail everywhere. However lots of heavy cover but I think we should have a good season down here in the SW

Back