brood report

Am I the only one who smells something fishy in some these posts lately? I love this site. And am very thankful for some outstanding information people post on the site. People who take this site very seriously. Thank you to all who post real news. Critiquing a person posts isnt necessary. Or digging up old graves from 2 years ago. I dont post often. But my dad and I are thankful for real information. We love our trip together every year to south dakota. Thank you to everyone who supports a positive cause!

Am I the only one who smells something fishy in some these posts lately? I love this site. And am very thankful for some outstanding information people post on the site. People who take this site very seriously. Thank you to all who post real news. Critiquing a person posts isn't necessary. Or digging up old graves from 2 years ago. I don't post often. But my dad and I are thankful for real information. We love our trip together every year to south dakota. Thank you to everyone who supports a positive cause!

summer time is always a bit boring...

My replys are just observations from someone who actually lives in South Dakota year round..

Last edited:
Bman My critiques or observations have no bad or commercial motive. I want great bird numbers as well as every one else. I was asked what counties I frequent. Hutchinson. Bon Homme. Davison region. Some smart ass asked if I'm only hunting plowed fields. Shame on you.

Last edited:
My replys are just observations from someone who actually lives in South Dakota year round.. If Hockey Bob is able to hunt on a farm here in South Dakota with those kinds of pheasant numbers he boosts about he is truly blessed. Does he live local and and is it his neighbor. If he is a nonresident does he pay something for the privilege? Because over the vast majority of South Dakota Conditions are tough.

I am a non resident from Illinois. Hunting SD for about 15 years. I am blessed to hunt wild birds in SD. I also pay $150 per day for that privilege. I also understand why I pay that amount. The farmer has zero incentive to just leave fields untouched when he can turn a profit with corn or beans. I’m sure he still loses money but at least it’s not a total zero loss for him.
I’ve said plenty of times I wouldn’t come out to SD if there was not many birds. I can see very few here in IL and not have to drive 12 hours.
Coming out to SD each fall is one of my favorite times of year. I can’t wait until late October.
Bob

Well I just spend 4 days at my place in SD. We did run across birds at various stages. We seen paired up birds still breeding- very active-multiples, chicks that were as big as quail and new broods with hens that looked no more than 7-10 days old with how small they were. Now on to the surprising bad news. In all my 20+ years in SD I have never seen such a lack of crops due to the wet weather they have experienced this year so far. In some areas and I covered roughly a 50 mile section 7 out of 10 fields weren't planted. On the bright side the cover for birds due to the wet conditions is amazing. What this all means I guess we will have to wait for fall to see.

Chad,

What part of the state do you reside? I know it’s a different thread but really sorry to hear the news of your friend. I have hunted the Platte area the last 25 years and always looked forward to Jim’s posts. Seemed like a great friend to have for not only people but the birds we love to chase. All the best!

My good friend we stay with called me two weeks ago to wish me a happy birthday. In our conversation, he stated he was able to partially cut his first cutting of alfalfa. Usually into his second cutting by now. Many parts of his field were still underwater. Good for duck hunters as he said the ducks are nesting in the alfalfa fields. He also mention that he saw his firsts broods. Unfortunately, the fields are so high and tangled more than one brood could not escape the equipment. I guess this is somewhat normal but still distressing.

Should be a great year! However I remember about 9 or 10 years ago, the grasses in the CRP and a few walk-in areas were well over your head. Made for keeping contact with your dog and fellow hunters very difficult. Let alone marking a downed bird was impossible. If they hit the ground alive and didn't hold up, they were gone. We lost more downed birds that year than ever. Over the last few years our lost bird count was almost zero. I would rather come out of the field without firing a shot than to come out with a lost bird! Also a turkey hunter and my only goal during our only season, which is the spring season, is to not miss a bird, and worse yet..... to wound a bird. Same thing follows with pheasants.

Chad,

What part of the state do you reside? I know it’s a different thread but really sorry to hear the news of your friend. I have hunted the Platte area the last 25 years and always looked forward to Jim’s posts. Seemed like a great friend to have for not only people but the birds we love to chase. All the best!

Drake1,

I have a place south of Mitchell. I looked at the local area there all the way across to Platte and seen the same scenario regarding crops.

Due to the brood reports we've been getting from our friends in North Central, my group just put in for group waterfowl licenses. :) It appears there are a LOT of ducks nesting in what used to be pheasant habitat, not so many pheasants.

If any of you are considering this, be aware that you have to apply today or tomorrow for the waterfowl draw. Entries are all done on the 12th. One guy goes to the website and applies and then communicates his group number and start date to the rest of the group.

Yes, we're still going to buy a small game license as well but planning on doing mostly duck hunting. Nice that we all run Labradors.

I know it's a draw. Last year there were leftover licenses. If this helps make a good trip for someone, good deal.

If my group doesn't draw, it's not the end of the world. I won't have to buy new waders either!

I kinda doubt that many people will even see that post.

I know it's a draw. Last year there were leftover licenses. If this helps make a good trip for someone, good deal.

If my group doesn't draw, it's not the end of the world. I won't have to buy new waders either!

I did, but already looked a couple months ago because of all the rain (I was thinking ahead) and no waterfowl hunting close to where me and my 2 teenagers (14 & 16) will be at. Which stinks because by the way I read it, the youth pretty much get to hunt the entire state where waterfowl hunting is allowed and there is always youth tags left over from looking at past drawings.

Thank you for putting it up there as a reminder to whomever would read it. I’m a believer in Karma.

I'm not a duck hunter, but I have hunted ducks when the opportunity arises. Not is SD because as you said, you have to get your license early in the year and pick a week. This is hard to do. It's a crap shoot, not a duck shoot. you never know if ducks will be in your area during the week you select. This is the main reason I don't put in for the drawl. If they are there, we go watch them. Several of the other guys I take with me pheasant hunting are big duck hunters. It's always a gamble to duck hunt. It sounds like if all ducks need is water, they will be where you hunt this year. I know that's not all true. Ducks need food and we always see them in cut corn fields. With the lack of planting this year, they will either be stacked deep and wide in the few cut fields there are, or they will just fly right by SD. Pheasant hunting is never a gamble! Find the right habitat....have a good trained dog.... know what you are doing.... and then shoot straight. For someone whom grew up in central PA, there is never a bad year in SD. Habitat + Food Source = Pheasants in the bag!

That was a nice picture of SDJIM's funeral. Looked like it captured the multiple aspects of Jim's life. Sorry I never had the chance to meet him.

ND has great duck hunting and is much more welcoming to NR duck hunters....

Luck o' the Irish!

luck-of-the-irish.jpg

My group was drawn for the waterfowl license! Happy Days! Happy Dogs! Happy Hunters!

Text I got today from a non hunter in SD when I asked about the crops and the hatch.

Hey yes most of the fields got planted and I have been seeing alot of baby pheasant!!

Back