Brome grass is taking over pheasant habitat in CRP

We have a 5 year old 20 acre block CRP field enrolled in the pollinator habitat program. The property is located near Gregory, South Dakota. The brome grass is slowly progressing each year and its about 40% of the field now. We did a controlled burn in early June. We had a wet season and 50% of the brome burnt. Herbicide spraying will kill off the forbes and native grasses. The program does not allow mowing at any time. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it? Im considering another controlled burn since that is the management practices that won't harm the natives.

Round up in November or even December on one of those days it hits 40ish. Just make sure its been really cold prior to the warm up. I know it sounds dumb but it works and its cheap. 2qts

Recommend a growing season burn followed by a moderate plateau application. Smooth brome can be difficult to eliminate in a grasslamd..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005-204551_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005-204551_Drive.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201005-204547_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005-204547_Drive.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 13
Recommend a growing season burn followed by a moderate plateau application. Smooth brome can be difficult to eliminate in a grasslamd..
This is a good option for guys who have the ability to burn. Most of the time rx fire is not possible. The Plateau application is good but there will be some loss of forbs. Some great options for guys here.

Round up in November or even December on one of those days it hits 40ish. Just make sure its been really cold prior to the warm up. I know it sounds dumb but it works and its cheap. 2qts
Or even a early spring application. Brome is one of the first to green up while all the warm seasons are waiting for more soil temp. Roundup will take out your early forbs, so I've moved to a grass herbicide only with good luck.

Or even a early spring application. Brome is one of the first to green up while all the warm seasons are waiting for more soil temp. Roundup will take out your early forbs, so I've moved to a grass herbicide only with good luck.
Forb loss is why we were trying November as to loose as little as possible. Spring application is going to get those early forbs like prairie smoke and pasque.

Forb loss is why we were trying November as to loose as little as possible. Spring application is going to get those early forbs like prairie smoke and pasque.

That's why I moved to a spring or late fall grass only herbicide application. I think it is called Select. Or Select Max

That's why I moved to a spring or late fall grass only herbicide application. I think it is called Select. Or Select Max
I just read this. Sorry for the late response but I would caution you on a grass only herbidide. There isn't a such thing unless they are selling water.

Back