Broken Toe

pgidley

On Sunday my 5 year old Drahthaar, Wilma, was playing in the yard, burning up some steam. She took a bit of a spill and injured her back foot. I hoped it was a small sprain or something, but after two days she was still holding it up and it was swollen, so we made a trip to the vet. After some x-rays and a nice bill, we now know her outside toe is fractured. Great news on the night before grouse season opens!

6-8 weeks of no activity for her, at the peak of her hunting career. I'm trying not to dwell on it much because I get knots in my stomach.

We've rescheduled our North Dakota trip from the week of Oct 24th to the week of Nov 20th, so we'll get to enjoy some later season hunting and thanksgiving in N. Dakota. Our lodging and property owners were very gracious with the timing change.

I usually do my deer hunting towards the middle to end of November, so I think this year I'll try to fill my tags early while she's out of commission.

I guess it could have been worse!

Yeah, it could have been worse. Hopefully your hunting time with Wilma will be even more special this year:)

Yep, we do need another dog. I got Wilma when my wife and I had first moved out on our own. Next summer we plan on building a garage and kennel, and then we'll look into a second dog. Willy won't like it though!

I'm kind of looking forward to a late november hunt though. I'll be spending the next few weekends in the deer stand.

Back