Broken femur?

AteUp

Had 6 month old get cow kicked and broke femur in half mid bone away from both growth plates. Orthopedic very optimistic about recovery surgery went well plate and screws no pins. Doc says 6 week healing time and since there was no growth plate involved should make a 100% recovery with no shortening of leg and that it was good pup was young. Just looking for comments from people who have had similar experience. Thanks

Should be a excellent outcome. Vet has it covered. Bones grow from the ends. Breed?? Good nutrition and keep restricted. 🙏

Pick him up tomorrow has to wear cone for 2 weeks and restrictions are outside to evacuate then inside for rest. The bright side of this is we will be bonded as much as my first bird dog when I was ten. Ironically back in my younger years ( way younger!) there would be be no way I would have ever spent this much on an unproven dog but the older I get I have to give everything a chance. Thanks for all the well wishes!

I had very similar experience with my lab when she was about 9 months old. She chased a cat throught the kitchen and slid across the tile floor into the cabinet. i was in the living room and heard the commotion. She started yelping and when she tried to stand up, her rear right leg was dangling and obviously broken. Luckily, no surgery was needed. The vet set it and put her in a cast. After 6-8 weeks we was back to full speed. She still sits a little crooked sometimes, but it doesnt seem to give her any trouble.

broke leg.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

broke leg2.jpg

The resiliency of dogs and the modern veterinarian technology has advanced to the point that what used to be career ending or even life ending events are extremely recoverable.
Point in hand, in October one of our K9s took 3, possibly 4 rounds from a AR15 at close range......neck, shoulder, spinal trauma and leg injuries.....significant trauma. Only hold up now is the rehab of the leg that had to have knee totally replaced.....all signs point to a extremely good chance the K9 will be able to return.

Best of wishes on the recovery.

The resiliency of dogs and the modern veterinarian technology has advanced to the point that what used to be career ending or even life ending events are extremely recoverable.
Point in hand, in October one of our K9s took 3, possibly 4 rounds from a AR15 at close range......neck, shoulder, spinal trauma and leg injuries.....significant trauma. Only hold up now is the rehab of the leg that had to have knee totally replaced.....all signs point to a extremely good chance the K9 will be able to return.

Best of wishes on the recovery.
Please explain in more detail, thanks. Police K-9??

Day two from surgery pup doing great partly because all meds I’m sure. The amazing thing about this pup was he didn’t even whimper on the 3 hour drive to the emergency vet. I wish it would’ve been a cast deal but bone was broken clean through the good thing is the orthopedic is also a sporting dog breed owner and said“ this guy is too handsome not to fix 100%”). The biggest thing I’m supposed to do is passive motion therapy 3xs a day because if I don’t he could develop muscle contracture which would mean a useless limb. I hope there are some vets on this board that have some experience with this that could share. I would be very great full! ( btw he is a Gwp) thanks for all the well wishes!

I had very similar experience with my lab when she was about 9 months old. She chased a cat throught the kitchen and slid across the tile floor into the cabinet. i was in the living room and heard the commotion. She started yelping and when she tried to stand up, her rear right leg was dangling and obviously broken. Luckily, no surgery was needed. The vet set it and put her in a cast. After 6-8 weeks we was back to full speed. She still sits a little crooked sometimes, but it doesnt seem to give her any trouble.

View attachment 7307

View attachment 7308

View attachment 7309
Gps4 that’s a great looking dog!

Before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.png
    IMG_0072.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0073.png
    IMG_0073.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0075.png
    IMG_0075.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0077.png
    IMG_0077.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0078.png
    IMG_0078.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Incredible what they can do for sure. Hopefully all heals as expected. Buddy of mine is a surgeon and sent me some pics from last week on a leg break he did. Hard to believe sometimes.

Not a hunting dog but….

About 15 years ago my son left the gate open and our border collie got ran over by a pickup truck. I was able to get her out from under it and realized her front right leg was snapped with the bone protruding out. Rushed her to the vet and they preformed emergency surgery. She lived a great life and really with the exception of about a 6-7 inch scar never favored or seemed to have any problems at all. She jumped and could run with any dog. She was about 2 when it happened and lived until 14. I always assumed it would give her trouble in her old age but it never did.

Cap went on a full 6 mile training exercise today wit about 8-10 minutes of swimming with no visible gate change. I can tell you he is tired and will rest well this evening!

Back