brittany won't pick up a dead bird

kurts

I'm looking for tips on getting my 1 year old Brittany to retrieve a dead bird. When she was a young pup she brought a live pigeon to me, she retrieves in the yard bumpers, scented bumpers and winged bumpers without any problems but when I shoot a pheasant or a chukar she find it but won't even pick it up. If I pick it up she wants it, if I throw it like in the yard she still won't pick it up. Any advice will be appreciated.

force break

a britt has such a natural retreive strange but sometimes they just have to be force broke my favorite way its dependable and very rarely do they mess up once taught

force break

What's your favorite way? I don't quite understand the toe pinch method. I suppose I'll need dead birds for training since she retrieves everything else. I was hoping it was a maturity issue

I'm looking for tips on getting my 1 year old Brittany to retrieve a dead bird. When she was a young pup she brought a live pigeon to me, she retrieves in the yard bumpers, scented bumpers and winged bumpers without any problems but when I shoot a pheasant or a chukar she find it but won't even pick it up. If I pick it up she wants it, if I throw it like in the yard she still won't pick it up. Any advice will be appreciated.

kurts, check out this thread http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969

I started the thread when I was having similar problems with my Brittany. You may have to do a Force Fetch or Trained Retrieve program with her. My Brittany did start retrieving during the hunting season but she was not real strong at it and would drop the bird when she got 5-6 feet from me. In January I started her on the Dobbs program and did the first half of it. At that point I had her retrieving to hand so I didn't get into the real "force" part. I'm running a field trial this weekend so I'll find out if the training worked or I need to go back and finish the program. Good luck and let us know how she does. I'm sure you will get some additional advice on this thread.

What's your favorite way? I don't quite understand the toe pinch method. I suppose I'll need dead birds for training since she retrieves everything else. I was hoping it was a maturity issue
ya the toe pinch you dnt need birds just a dummy after getting toes pulled on they learn quick!

Unless you are very well versed in a Trained Retrieve or Force Fetch program I would suggest enlisting the services of a professional. But make sure the trainer is use to working with Brittanys and other softer dogs. Britts don't take well to heavy handed training. You don't want someone that mainly works with Labs or Chessies as these breeds tend to need, and can tolerate, a heavier hand. There are a number of Brittany breeders and trainer in the Twin Cities area so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. Make sure you get references and check them out.

There is one old trick you can try. First off this could be a reason I never start a young dog out on pheasants. They can get a violent experience from one, and never want anything to do with one again. Not saying thats what happened just a reminder to all.You can take another dog out that will deliver fine, and make her watch while on lead, giving the other dog plenty of praise in front of her. Put her away the first few times just watching. She will get jealous and want a try.
You need to just stick with pigeons for some time, just toss a few clips and put her away. No Free running. Just the retrieves. It will look forward to the sessions. Then toss in a small frozen hen. mix it up with a couple pigeons. And only do a few and put her up. You can do it a few times a day. If you get a good couple, quit while your ahead. Let the dog hold it for a bit while you really praise the hell out of her, and rub her up. Give her a couple kernels of dog food and put her away. Once she starts doing it, mix in a smaller frozen rooster. NO live pheasants for quite awhile. You will see the confidence build and then you can toss a couple fresh killed pheasants in. Mix in a shot from time to time from a gunner off to the side a ways. Then after a couple months shoot a couple flier pigeons, see how that goes, then a small flier hen. If that goes well, use them for a month then put in a rooster. If you advance and have issues back up a step again. Many times this approach works with a dog like this better then force breaking. Most dogs that need force breaking will pick up a bird but will just screw around with it. This is a positive approach for a softer dog. Something about another dog doing it, while they watch can turn on a light bulb, and make them want the attention too. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well put FCSpringer.
I agree for a dog to have to watch another one get trained is not easy they want out of the box and want to please so they can stay out.

I had a shorthair that would not pick up anything at all. No toys ,balls, birds nothing. I shot a pheasent once and the dog ran picked it up returned it to me then the light bulb turned on. She did it with out thinking but she did not want the other dog to get it.

Thanks for the specifics. I'm going to try to get through this without a pinch. I feel as though she'll figure out what I want. I got her up at lakesidebrittanys and I haven't talked to them about it yet. I'll keep you posted.

kurt

wow cant believe u have this issue with a brit. u may be right about it being a maturity issue good look let us know what happens:D

Thanks for the specifics. I'm going to try to get through this without a pinch. I feel as though she'll figure out what I want. I got her up at lakesidebrittanys and I haven't talked to them about it yet. I'll keep you posted.

kurts, that is what I did and I'm not sure it's going to work. I am beginning to think, and have been told, that they have to exerience the pain of force fetch so that they learn that not retrieving to hand is not an option. My 17 month old Britt is an enthusiastic retriever but is still dropping the bird short of me. (5-10 feet short) I'm going back to the bench with her but if she still continues to drop real birds short she is going off to a pro.

Just to add, what I described earlier you may want to do it on a long cord as well if the dog is dropping or not coming back all the way as well. And if you do the FF or breaking, just make sure you don't skip a step, "follow the programs outlined to a T", everything. If you don't, you will end up with mixed results, and will be starting all over, or at least somewhere, and will drag out the whole process for months unnecessarily. Good luck

Last edited:

My brit was 3 before she would bring a dead bird to me...she would point it and I would have to pick it up...for some reason...one day I knocked down a bird and she picked it up and looked at me...I turned my back and walked a 100 yards and made her follow me with the dead bird. I finally stopped...made her around to face me...knelt down and she gave me the bird. The light turned on. She is 7 and is a good retriever now and still excellent dead bird dog. I have done the walking thing before...it will work. Good Luck.

My brit was 3 before she would bring a dead bird to me...she would point it and I would have to pick it up...for some reason...one day I knocked down a bird and she picked it up and looked at me...I turned my back and walked a 100 yards and made her follow me with the dead bird. I finally stopped...made her around to face me...knelt down and she gave me the bird. The light turned on. She is 7 and is a good retriever now and still excellent dead bird dog. I have done the walking thing before...it will work. Good Luck.

thurrealty, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. It may have worked on your dog and it is exactly what worked on a Brittany I once had, but not all dogs are the same and it may not work on the next dog. It didn't on my 7 year old Brittany and I now have a non-retrieving dog. I waited year after year for the light to go on and it never did. There is nothing better than a very good retrieving dog. Why take the risk? I did and will never do it again. You are much better off having a professional put the dog through a "trained retrieve" or "force fetch" program and have a dog that will retrieve without question. You will thank yourself in the future for doing so.

thurrealty, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. It may have worked on your dog and it is exactly what worked on a Brittany I once had, but not all dogs are the same and it may not work on the next dog. It didn't on my 7 year old Brittany and I now have a non-retrieving dog. I waited year after year for the light to go on and it never did. There is nothing better than a very good retrieving dog. Why take the risk? I did and will never do it again. You are much better off having a professional put the dog through a "trained retrieve" or "force fetch" program and have a dog that will retrieve without question. You will thank yourself in the future for doing so.

Your right...they are all different...kinda like women...a guy told me a long time ago regarding bird dogs and women....he said...the more you pay for them...the more you like them. He He. If we ever get some time...I will tell you how a buddy of my dad tried to break a dog that was gun shy. Good Luck with your dog...Doug

Try just walking away from her. If she catches up to you without the bird in mouth, tell her to fetch (or whatever command you use), pointing toward the bird. If she won't go back and fetch, walk back to the bird, point to it, step back and ask her to fetch and start walking away again, repeating the command maybe once or twice more. Have a reward ready. Always use the same command in the field as when playing fetch. If it's "fetch" in the yard, it should be "fetch" in the field, not "dead bird" or "find bird" or "fetch it up" all of which commands have too many syllables in my opinion. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Try just walking away from her. If she catches up to you without the bird in mouth, tell her to fetch (or whatever command yuou use) , pointing toward the bird. If she won't go back and fetch, walk back to the bird, point to it, step back and ask her to fetch and start walking away again, repeating the command maybe one or twice more. Have a reward ready.

Worked for me...your idea and results were similar to mine...that is what is good about this site...lots of good people with good ideas...

Tony went through his first season just pinning or marking where the downed bird was. Then on the very last day of the season I crippled a rooster and it lead Tony on a merry chase. Tony finally got it in his mouth. I called him to me, he came about 3/4 of the way to me. He then decided he didn't want to give it me. So I did the walk thing letting him carry the bird. When I stopped I let him come around and I held out my hand. No words were spoke. He dropped the bird in my hand. I praised the daylights out of him, hugged him and made a big fuss. He has been bringing all the birds to me ever since..........Bob

Tony went through his first season just pinning or marking where the downed bird was. Then on the very last day of the season I crippled a rooster and it lead Tony on a merry chase. Tony finally got it in his mouth. I called him to me, he came about 3/4 of the way to me. He then decided he didn't want to give it me. So I did the walk thing letting him carry the bird. When I stopped I let him come around and I held out my hand. No words were spoke. He dropped the bird in my hand. I praised the daylights out of him, hugged him and made a big fuss. He has been bringing all the birds to me ever since..........Bob

Seems like some us have had success with this...glad I mentioned it...hope others try it and hope it works for them also.

I got some pigeons and started playing fetch with the fresh kill and she brings them to me quite well. She does drop it short every now and then but if I kneel down she starts bringing them right to me. I'll try to get her on another chukar hunt and see how she does in the field.
kurts, check out this thread http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969

I started the thread when I was having similar problems with my Brittany. You may have to do a Force Fetch or Trained Retrieve program with her. My Brittany did start retrieving during the hunting season but she was not real strong at it and would drop the bird when she got 5-6 feet from me. In January I started her on the Dobbs program and did the first half of it. At that point I had her retrieving to hand so I didn't get into the real "force" part. I'm running a field trial this weekend so I'll find out if the training worked or I need to go back and finish the program. Good luck and let us know how she does. I'm sure you will get some additional advice on this thread.

Back