Brittany search

ss13

I just found out this morning that I won’t be getting a Britt as anticipated. Mother gave birth yesterday and there were not enough males for us to bring one home. Now I’m left searching for a new kennel with hopefully pups on the ground, or a litter coming soon. Hoping you guys can help out.

Here are my requirements: family friendly, weekend hunter. This will be a house dog. The parents need to be OFA hip certified. We’d prefer a male, but intimately it really doesn't matter.

So, does anyone know of kennels in the Midwest or Plains states that have pups on the ground or expected litters this spring? I’m all ears! I’m located in WI and willing to travel up to 10 hours.

You might want to open up your search to other breeds- if you can find a good, local breeder their knowledge and networking can be worth gold to someone getting their first gun dog.
Many local hunt tests in next few months to get out and see the different styles of dogs and talk to owners. Good luck.

You have time.

Gender does matter, I guess. My most tractable dogs have been females. I live in the country and the males--intact or not--wanted to roam. They weren't running away, they were investigating. The females would hang around the house, even if I had to run to town for stuff.

Best wishes. Going to be fun.

I just had a 3 tr old French Britt that I re homed because she wouldn't stay home !! Spent her nights on my lap in front of the TV. Got to the point I was being ignored! We went to public land and she was a peach but not around home ! Had to go as she was going to get hit by a car ! She is now a kennel dog.

Thank you for the tips guys. I have three kennels in mind. If I don’t get a pup by late summer, I’ll wait until spring 2022.

Some of the AKC "tournament" breeders want you to sign a contract saying you must spay or neuter your dog. They are off my list immediately. That decision is mine.

I have been fortunate that all my Britts have pointed birds naturally. Some whoa yard work, but they all have pretty much froze in-place on first and subsequent exposure. An occassional charge in if visual contact is made.

Never used a pigeon and have not used a holder/thrower since dog #2 (and even then others had, but I preferred not to use).

Well, I got a started pup from Dogwood Brittanys in IL. His name is Parker. He certainly is still a puppy and loves to socialize and play with the family. Outside he has very strong bird drive and is always hunting. Other than two accidents inside, it’s been good.

Attachments

• B0F46B97-9910-4537-A92D-AEB65CFA4796.jpeg
    B0F46B97-9910-4537-A92D-AEB65CFA4796.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 21
E358F85B-04F4-4E8E-9C5C-57BA960FBD93.jpeg
Here’s one more. The first week has been a challenge with a few house accidents and disobedience, but it’s getting better. We are doing daily obedience training and he loves searching for birds in the marsh.

Dogwood Brittany’s, Binny x Hailey.

Just took him out training today. Planted 4 quail. He held is points solid, retrieved and recalled to hand with the birds. For a family dog first, hunting dog second, couldn’t be happier with his progress. He and I have made strides this summer. He’s my first dog and it’s been quite a journey.

Attachments

• A4C5473F-BE5E-4661-873F-801B4F18CF66.jpeg
    A4C5473F-BE5E-4661-873F-801B4F18CF66.jpeg
    9.3 MB · Views: 4
The dog on the right in my avatar was from Todd, good luck and have fun this fall just be careful this bird dog stuff can get addictive.

You two are doing great and you will have many great memories and season's together in the future. Great to read about your progress and please keep us updated.

EA1FEB96-F427-41EC-A2D0-392DDAE89739.jpegNot the greatest photo, but Parker is locked on point from about 20’. In today’s session he held his points well and even found a bonus wild chucker. He was running hard and appeared to really be enjoying himself. Today was also his first time hunting with a bell. He did great. I’m hoping to get out one more time before our seasons open in WI.

Back