Brittany Question

Curious

I am in the middle of doing a bunch of research on a new bird dog and while I think I am leaning towards a ESS I have become interested in a Brittany. One of the things I really like about a ESS is watching them retrieve. They just seem to love it. I don't know anyone that has a Brittany so the question I have is do Brittany's like to retrieve? Yes? No? or it depends on the breeder/dog? Not trying to start anything here just want some honest opinions/feedback from people that either own or hunt with this breed. Thanks

I have a Brittany that will point and retrieve a bird to hand. She loves retrieving when I use a bumper with a pheasant wing attached. My Brittany will even retrieve a duck under the right conditions and its not too cold out. Great dog and love the size.

We got a Brittany about a year ago. He absolutely loves to retrieve. He can't get enough. The trainer we took him to actually commented on his drive and desire to retrieve. I hope me working with him before we took him to the trainer helped this. I listened to what others had to say. Tried to keep it short and fun for him. Looks like it is working out. I just need to get him to the field on some birds now. Hope this helped.

Some do naturally, some don't.:cheers:

My britt is pretty lukewarm on the idea of retrieving, but some others I've seen were very reliable. Mine is known to find a dead bird and bring it back, but she doesn't have the kind of enthusiasm I like to see. I like to see a dog that would crash through a brick wall to get a bird that went down.

I'm not bashing the breed. I have a lot of really great things to say about them, and ours is a cherished hunting companion and loved family member. Ours isn't crazy about retrieving, but there are plenty of others that retrieve just fine.

I am in the middle of doing a bunch of research on a new bird dog and while I think I am leaning towards a ESS I have become interested in a Brittany. One of the things I really like about a ESS is watching them retrieve. They just seem to love it. I don't know anyone that has a Brittany so the question I have is do Brittany's like to retrieve? Yes? No? or it depends on the breeder/dog? Not trying to start anything here just want some honest opinions/feedback from people that either own or hunt with this breed. Thanks

We raised, trained and hunted AM Britts for 40 years. Most Britts IME have a strong natural instinct to retrieve. That instinct can be enhanced by early puppy training. I would look for parents with a strong natural retrieving instinct.

NB

I have a 1 1/2 year old Brittany. He has strong retrieving instincts, loves fetching all kinds of stuff.
I'm going to work more with him on retrieving birds. I know he will be fine with it.

Dakotazeb, will be the guy to ask about Britts.

I am on my second Brittany and both liked - loved is a better word - to retrieve. Further, a Brittany is bred to be a ranging pointer while an ESS is a flusher and works within gun range to be effective. Quite a difference there. The choice would depend on what type of hunting you mostly do. Me, I hunt wild birds in the open country of the high plains. I let the Brittany roam as long as he is in sight and find the often spread out birds. If I were mostly hunting club/reserve/planted and small coverts, the ESS would be the ticket I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's guys. Really do appreciate the info. I did hit up DakotaZeb in a PM about where he got his dog at. Just so happens that the breeder is in my neck of the woods. For the guys that own Brittany's can you tell me breeder/kennel information on where you got your dog and if you would recommend that breeder? Thanks

I think the retrieving instinct is more in the breeding than in the breed. I've had several Springers none of which were strong retrievers. Of the Brittanys I've had 2 have been strong retrievers and one is a non-retriever.

For the guys that own Brittany's can you tell me breeder/kennel information on where you got your dog and if you would recommend that breeder? Thanks

Sorry, I'm no help with Brittany breeders - my current one is a rescue. But when you look at a pup regardless of its breed you should ask the seller about the retrieving habits of the parents. Good luck.

Most brits we've had were strong retrievers, a few would only retrieve when other dogs were not in the field. My personal brit was an amazing retriever, well over 500 ducks and geese over field and water. Had him running blinds out to 200 yards with whistle and hand signals. His parents were both good retrievers, which we bred. Have seen that work done as a puppy helping to make it fun can improve your odds.

Look to the traits of the Pup's Sire/Dam. My Dad has a lovely Brittany; unbelievable nose, will run down and kill any bird shot... bring it to you? "That's your job! I found it for you!" Mine, An ESS: both parents unbelievable retrievers/hunters. He's happy retrieving anything. Purchase the traits of the parents that suit you. I like having my shot bird brought to me!

That said, on warm days (tongue out) or when hunting deeper snow ... my Brittanys will sometimes stand over the bird and "say" just come over and get it.

Back