Brittany or Pointer

For a Brittany breeder in Wisconsin I'd look at Chuck Vande Hei in De Pere, WI. 920-680-8838 or 920-680-1299 Chuck has some very good dogs. He hunts a lot with them and they have also won many championship in NSTRA field trials.

Damn Zeb, do you know everyone. LOL. Always good info from you.
That's what happens when you've been around as long as I have. :)

How often do you usually hunt each year? If just a handful of outings, I would a say a Britt. Maybe the Pointer if you're out every weekend.

How often do you usually hunt each year? If just a handful of outings, I would a say a Britt. Maybe the Pointer if you're out every weekend.
Only a few times a year if I'm lucky, I have an old pointer now and I would like another but I think the next one will be up to the family not just me and a Brittany intrigues them.

Brittanys make excellent gun dogs and even better family dogs. We have had up to 3 in our home at one time. You (AND YOUR WIFE) cannot be afraid of dog hair. Regular brushing helps, but it is something that Brittany owners have to put up with if they live inside.

I have trained and hunted over six Brittanys over the past 40 years ... my brother had another 4. I am by no means an expert, but all my dogs naturally pointed and only became more staunch as they gained experience ... Some of my Brittanys were very good waterfowl retrievers (both over water and grain fields) when I did more waterfowl hunting. Not a replacement for a lab, but can do the job if you watch what temperatures they are exposed to.

The one caution I give to potential new Britt owners is they are very tender-hearted and you cannot discipline them like many other breeds. A load voice is all that is needed and sometimes that may be too much. I have never used any electronic training collars.

Brittanys make excellent gun dogs and even better family dogs. We have had up to 3 in our home at one time. You (AND YOUR WIFE) cannot be afraid of dog hair. Regular brushing helps, but it is something that Brittany owners have to put up with if they live inside.

I have trained and hunted over six Brittanys over the past 40 years ... my brother had another 4. I am by no means an expert, but all my dogs naturally pointed and only became more staunch as they gained experience ... Some of my Brittanys were very good waterfowl retrievers (both over water and grain fields) when I did more waterfowl hunting. Not a replacement for a lab, but can do the job if you watch what temperatures they are exposed to.

The one caution I give to potential new Britt owners is they are very tender-hearted and you cannot discipline them like many other breeds. A load voice is all that is needed and sometimes that may be too much. I have never used any electronic training collars.
What Brittman said i agree 100%! Have had Britts all my life (54 yrs), I have experimented with Labs and a Setter, both fine breeds, but i'm biased against a tail. When you were raised with a particular breed it is hard to move away from.

Bump for more ideas, found some well bred pointers in MN that would be ready for Christmas but not sure I trust the post on Facebook. I sent Chuck a message tonight to pick his brain a little on the Brittany's.

For a Brittany breeder in Wisconsin I'd look at Chuck Vande Hei in De Pere, WI. 920-680-8838 or 920-680-1299 Chuck has some very good dogs. He hunts a lot with them and they have also won many championship in NSTRA field trials.
Know anything about the guys at Gilmore Brittanys?

Pointers: I would be asking what the breeder what the parents normal range is from the hunter. Many field trials are actually run with the handler on horseback ... but I guess since you own one now you already know that.

If you are fine with a wide ranging, far out bird dog ... that is great ... but you should have some basic understanding of what that range is.

My Brittanys are most effective hunting anywhere from 20 yards to about 100 yards out ... typically about 80 yards is their max distance away from me and they often cast out far and then work their way back at me ... which can be highly effective on pinning birds ... My preference is them working just outside normal gun range so that I can enjoy watching them and get to them when they go on point

Well I ended up picking up a little male Brittany from Gilmore's Brittanys on Sunday. The family is already in love however if he continues to keep me up all night he and I may start having problems lol. Meet Doc!

Attachments

• 20221204_123922.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20221204_183456~2.jpeg
    Resized_20221204_183456~2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Congrats on your new hunting partner, such a great gift! One thing i do is put my pups in their crate, I have a small puppy crate, then either have the crate next to my bed or on the bed with me, that way if they need let out you can hear them stirring, if wanting to play i just put my finger tips in for them to chew on for a bit. This has worked well with my last three pups, toughest night is first night but after that they understand the routine pretty quick. Its more for me know they need to go outside for a potty break. He looks great and will be interested to see how he develops, again congrats.

Hey there, Doc!!! Nice to meetcha!

Doc,   Prince of dogdom in his own kingdom.jpeg

Boy, have you got a life ahead of you! Enjoy every minute, 'cuz the Big Guy has already had vision of your partnership with him.
It's going to be quite a ride.

Be safe.

Last edited:
Back