British Lab

See 'em Fly

Hello,

I posted this question in my intro, but thought it might be better placed here? I am looking at buying a pup from KT British Labs in Elbow lake, MN. Anyone have any experience with them ans their dogs?

Thanks!

I have met the brothers, and they seem like decent people and have a good reputation as far as I know.
As a side note, I don’t care for British labs as I feel it’s more of a marketing ploy than any thing else so I cannot speak to the quality of their breedings.

No experience with KT, though I've got 2 British Labs from Double TT, and they share some lines (Drakeshead dogs, Craighorn Bracken, Pocklea Remus, etc.). There's definitely some marketing hype, but no more than with any other kind of dog. American labs have plenty of marketing hype, too. To say nothing of pointing dogs of all sorts, which are chock full of absolutely silly marketing hype, in no small part because pointing dog people are usually the silliest breed of all.

I never really wanted a lab. Didn't particularly like the breed, but I wanted/needed a different type of dog than the spaniels I owned, and I had started hunting waterfowl and wanted a generalist dog, and my wife wanted a Lab. So, I bought a Lab, and chose a British one at least in part based on the marketing (smaller, calmer, quieter, etc.). My experience of British Labs has been so good, and so close to the marketing hype, that I bought a second. And the next dog I buy is also going to be a British Lab. The dogs I've had so far have just been too good, both in the field and at home, to risk a switch to anything else, and if there's one thing that's worth money in a hunting dog, it's eliminating the risk of things not working out.

Hello,

I posted this question in my intro, but thought it might be better placed here? I am looking at buying a pup from KT British Labs in Elbow lake, MN. Anyone have any experience with them ans their dogs?

Thanks!

Hey See 'em; i spoke with Kim about a month ago as we plan on adding a pup to the family in the next 2 years or so. First impressions were good, he gave me a background on how he started and where he picked up his pups (started off from Mike Stewart's wild rose kennels); went over the health and sizes of their dogs (40-50lb female and 50-60lb males). He also mentioned he does not cash in the puppy deposit until you officially pick up your pup which I thought was nice. I plan on stopping in there sometime this fall as I pheasant hunt near that area at times. Keep us updated on what you find out.

Gatzby maybe onto something as far as a marketing ploy selling british labs within the last decade or so; but as long as the dogs are in that smaller size vs the standard labs of 80-100+lbs and the dam and sire are calm healthy dogs, they could call them Chinese Labs and I would still get one

No experience with KT, though I've got 2 British Labs from Double TT, and they share some lines (Drakeshead dogs, Craighorn Bracken, Pocklea Remus, etc.). There's definitely some marketing hype, but no more than with any other kind of dog. American labs have plenty of marketing hype, too. To say nothing of pointing dogs of all sorts, which are chock full of absolutely silly marketing hype, in no small part because pointing dog people are usually the silliest breed of all.

I never really wanted a lab. Didn't particularly like the breed, but I wanted/needed a different type of dog than the spaniels I owned, and I had started hunting waterfowl and wanted a generalist dog, and my wife wanted a Lab. So, I bought a Lab, and chose a British one at least in part based on the marketing (smaller, calmer, quieter, etc.). My experience of British Labs has been so good, and so close to the marketing hype, that I bought a second. And the next dog I buy is also going to be a British Lab. The dogs I've had so far have just been too good, both in the field and at home, to risk a switch to anything else, and if there's one thing that's worth money in a hunting dog, it's eliminating the risk of things not working out.

Really. Pointy dog folks silliest of all?
Just another way to hunt. Not silly.

Great Dogs! I bought a dog from there about 15 years ago. They were great to deal with and couldn’t be happier with them.
Best dog that I have had. I would get another one from them in a heartbeat.

KT has a good rep in the gundog world...

One of my four labs is a Brit (Rowdy Girl's Dakota Blackheart, call name Jetta). I bought her from a pheasant hunting operation in SD a few years back as a started dog and finished her training. Jetta has a stocky build with a shorter muzzle than my other labs. She is a great marker who routinely makes insanely difficult retrieves, particularly blinds. Her highlight last season was to scent trail a wing tipped runner over 400 yards before catching up & making the retrieve. She is also one of the most diabolically intelligent labs I've ever seen, and capable of amazing problem solving & mischief...

Last edited:
Back