bring your shotgun to different states

dansan

I need some help I am planning to go hunting to wyoming, nebrasca but i don't know the law about to bring my own shotgun to different state where I should look for more information, do you have any advaces could you help me thanks so much. I am ready for this hunting season do you ?:cheers:

To my knowledge there are no laws about bringing a shotgun into different states. But you should be a ware that the laws within states vary regarding whether the gun has to be unloaded and in a case during transport. If you unload and case the gun each time before putting it in your vehicle you should have nothing to worry about.

There are several websites that post a digest of all the states' gun laws. Just do a search for "state gun laws" and you'll find several sites. I don't recall the name of one I recently looked at when I drove to Michigan. I did discover that in Michigan, unlike the other states I would be traveling through, a concealed carry permit from some state was a requirement for having a hand gun anywhere in any condition in a motor vehicle. Thus, I took an unwieldy 12 ga. with me instead of the .44.

The NRA-ILA has a good page on transporting firearms. Federal law says if you are legally allowed to have a firearm, you can transport it if it is unloaded and locked out of reach. A locked gun case is usually acceptable and locking it in the trunk is acceptable. Some states have more stringent laws and the article points them out. They are the usual suspects, CA, MA, NJ, NY, Wash. D.C.
Google up the article and look it over. If you are generally staying out west, locking it in the trunk or a locked gun case should cover you. But best to check.

A quick review of some sites with state gun laws shows to me that the Wikipedia "Gun Laws in the United States" is the best. I found the NRA site to be lacking in detail.

Every state has their own laws regarding shell capacity (aka plugs in pump and automatic shotguns).

Federal laws trump for waterfowl ... 3 shots total ... fall season.

Spring snow goose conservation season ... most states have no plug rules and some people even use extended magazines.

Fall upland ... every state is different. ND for instance requires that the Federal 3 shell limit be followed even if you are only hunting pheasants.

Casing laws also vary as pointed out above. Some states require that the gun be completely cased (fully zipped) to comply with their laws.

Again, if you visit another state - understand you need to follow their laws. Ignorance is rarely a good defense and being a nonresident of a state makes for a rather easy issued ticket that will likely just get paid without any fight or defense.

Back