Breasting birds

I breast the pheasants I shoot keep the legs and thighs. Last night I cooked 9 legs and thighs on the charcoal grill ate pheasant for supper last night and lunch today. MMMMM Good.

Alot of people dont like to eat the legs because they are so stringy. My suggestion is to Eat Slow then. Legs and thighs are my favorite.

Would you mind sharing your leg recipe for the charcoal grill. Marinate them or wrap them in bacon??? Thanks in advance.

A really fast way to clean a pheasant is to lay the bird on it's back, stand on both wings, with your feet close to the body, grab by the legs and pull. It leaves the breasts, no head, not guts. Cut off one wing and you're leagal for transport. I like the thighs myself, and so use more of the bird than some folks might, but for birds like woodcock, there's nothing to eat but the breast.

If it was me seeing the guys breasting and no sex ID, I'd say something to them, just in case they are ignorant of the law, then walk away. There's no need to get more involved than that.

I would like you to start a thread about hunting woodcock. I understand we have some where I live but I no nothing about how to hunt them. Thanks.

If it's cool enough, I take the birds home uncleaned and, again if cool enough, let them lie in the garage for a day or two. The meat's perfect.

If it's cool enough, I take the birds home uncleaned and, again if cool enough, let them lie in the garage for a day or two. The meat's perfect.

Bc, two days?? REALLY, Imight have to try this. I clean all my birds, when I get home. Put them in salt solution to draw the blood out. My 2 pennies.:)

I always clean birds when I get back home/camp. (unless it is really warm) Do many of you clean birds in the field rather than waiting.

Bc, two days?? REALLY, Imight have to try this. I clean all my birds, when I get home. Put them in salt solution to draw the blood out. My 2 pennies.:)

I always remember the open air game markets in England, pheasants, woodcock, rabbits hung with entrails usually, for days sold to the public and resturant patrons for the dinner table. By the way, they cook the woodcock with trail, ( intestines), intact. Bon Apetit.

I always remember the open air game markets in England, pheasants, woodcock, rabbits hung with entrails usually, for days sold to the public and resturant patrons for the dinner table. By the way, they cook the woodcock with trail, ( intestines), intact. Bon Apetit.

Probably why they lost their colonies.:eek:;)

A really fast way to clean a pheasant is to lay the bird on it's back, stand on both wings, with your feet close to the body, grab by the legs and pull. It leaves the breasts, no head, not guts. Cut off one wing and you're leagal for transport. I like the thighs myself, and so use more of the bird than some folks might, but for birds like woodcock, there's nothing to eat but the breast.

If it was me seeing the guys breasting and no sex ID, I'd say something to them, just in case they are ignorant of the law, then walk away. There's no need to get more involved than that.
Here is something I posted last year. Here are a couple alternative methods that exist out there...not sure if you knew about them or not. http://www.uplandgameadventures.com/?p=435

I agree that just breasting the birds is a bit of a waste. Legs are nice to have too.

Back