Bradley smokerss

Labman500

Wanting to get a new smoker. Whats your thoughts on the Bradley smoker? Original vs the digitol? Is is worth the extra 150 for the digitol. Also what is your favorite brine for smoked pheasant?

Treager smokers are great but $$$$, I have a brinkman offset that does a good job. Here is my brine receipe.

1/2 cup table salt
10 cloves garlic , unpeeled
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 quarts water
1 Lemon quartered

Combine salt, garlic, and rosemary in zipper-lock bag; seal, pressing out air. Pound with meat pounder or rolling pin until garlic cloves are crushed. Transfer mixture to large container or stockpot and stir in 2 cups hot tap water; let stand 10 minutes to release flavors. Add 1 1/2 quarts cold tap water, lemon and stir until salt is dissolved
Let it marinate 12- 24 hours then remove and rinse good before cooking. :thumbsup:

Kick'em Up!

Wanting to get a new smoker. Whats your thoughts on the Bradley smoker? Original vs the digitol? Is is worth the extra 150 for the digitol. Also what is your favorite brine for smoked pheasant?

I see this is an older post, but thought I would give my 0.02$ worth. I have Primo charcoal grill/smoker, and an electric Bradley Smoker.

The Bradley smoker is easy to use. While I have the non-digital version, I would spend the extra money for the digital model if I was to do it over again. For long duration cooking the digital unit would be much easier to operate. That said, the non-digital model maintains temperature very well. Overall, I love this unit. Keep in mind, however, that cooking with electricity produces a very dry heat - comparable to cooking is the Sahara desert. This is why water is placed at the bottom of the smoker.

The Primo grill is fantastic and has a lower cost of ownership than the Bradley smokey (which requires their own wood pucks). Any lump charcoal can be used with the Primo or a Green Egg style cooker. The higher end charcoal grills have an incredible ability to maintain low temperatures for smoking. I would rather do a brisket/ribs/ham this way than with my Bradley. Cooking with natural gas produces 35% moisture (natural byproduct of burring NG), while charcoal isn't as high, it is certainly higher than electric heat.

An electric smoker would be like shooting a rifle with a tripod, laying on the ground, at a large stationary target. While the charcoal grill is more like bowhunting... Forgive my analogy in an Upland Hunting forum.

Back