Boss shotgun ammunition

Yeah I have seen the success on larger waterfowl, just hate using larger pellets on pheasant, if not warranted. Probably just go with 5's.

Yeah I have seen the success on larger waterfowl, just hate using larger pellets on pheasant, if not warranted. Probably just go with 5's.

4s work extremely well, so i assume the 3/5 would as well as it is almost the same pellet count. IMO 5s are all most people need. You really cant have overkill, the only issue with bigger shot is that you run out of pellet count and pattern density at longer ranges and unlike waterfowl a crippled/sailed pheasant is a tricky retrieve.

Anyone use the #3/5 boss combo on pheasants?
In what I've read, I've never been able to understand duplex loads. You have two different pellet sizes, with different weights, which would lead to a longer shot string. A longer shot string is a bad thing, the pattern kills, not the "string." In an ideal load you want as much of the shot to arrive on target at the same time. I see it as a gimmick. Now obviously they will kill game, as just about any shell can. But when it comes to efficiency I don't see any pluses and a whole bunch of minuses. But people always like something new fangled and they definitely fit the bill. I am open minded and willing to listen. But so far the only evidence I've heard is purely anecdotal.

In what I've read, I've never been able to understand duplex loads. You have two different pellet sizes, with different weights, which would lead to a longer shot string. A longer shot string is a bad thing, the pattern kills, not the "string." In an ideal load you want as much of the shot to arrive on target at the same time. I see it as a gimmick. Now obviously they will kill game, as just about any shell can. But when it comes to efficiency I don't see any pluses and a whole bunch of minuses. But people always like something new fangled and they definitely fit the bill. I am open minded and willing to listen. But so far the only evidence I've heard is purely anecdotal.
Yeah this trend has been driving me crazy. If you need a longer shot you can't just put in a few pellets and have them magically equal a regular payload. The smaller pellets will fall off too soon which means you only have at best half the payload for the long shot. And if the smaller pellets didn't drop off, then you could have had more pellets by keeping all them the same instead.

The only place duplex makes sense is in TSS/Steel, and that's only if you are trying to make a cheaper TSS load. Pure TSS would still be better than duplex.

I am still on my first box, only used once last year ,did the job, BUT, ive seen quite a few videos of guys having duds with the stuff so.......

I'm only familiar with one partial fire. Evidence points to no wad. And I'm familiar with one other non-dud where evidence suggests the plastic separated from the brass & lodged in the barrel. Luckily no person or gun was hurt upon firing the next shell. Never experienced any similar problems of my own in probably 175 shells or so, although I'm convinced several of them must not have contained any shot.

Anyone use the #3/5 boss combo on pheasants?
No but did use the #6 stingers in 12 gauge with no issue on pheasants. They sold me on their performance on ducks (same #6 stingers on early season teal and #4 on big ducks) and then I went to their turkey loads which I loved as well. Their customer service is great too.

I used the 3" 20 gauge Boss loads in #5 this fall and they did put the roosters down. They were expensive but the bigger picture is, if I travel 1,000 miles , stay in motels several days, eating out all that time, the Boss shells cost comparatively little in the overall trip expense and when I use them the odds of a clean kill increase. And that's what I'm after.

Not sure I want to support a company supporting a total ban on lead. It’s just the first step.

ybldSJB.jpg

kePdk5j.jpg

Wtf. I understand it from a sales perspective, but dont sell out. I never understood the non toxic rule for upland hunting. I still catch chubs out of the cricks where I pheasant hunt on private ground, so I must not be leading up the water too bad.
Truthfully, I dont know the studies behind the waterfowling non toxic rule.

Back