Book for training my new GSP...

I know the opinions will vary...that’s a good thing..., but can you all recommend some excellent, in-depth books that I can get the best possible GSP I can? I’ve used Richard Wolters’ book “water dog” to train my old Chocolate Lab, then picked up his “Gun Dog” to get a refresher course. His books are informative, but I find them lacking the in-depth I’m seeking.

Our pup just turned 10 weeks, and I’m wanting to take him to the next level. He is still in the “preschool” stage now, and progressing quite well. My intent is to start “School” at 12 weeks...as his attention span allows. Nothing wrong with Wolters books, I’m just thinking there are better training aids available to read since Wolters wrote his books. I do not want to watch a video, but would rather have a quick rereference to flip to. I’m NOT looking to any trails or testing, I just want the best hunting dog I can produce, and for my wife’s benefit, a great house dog too (she’s really warming up to the little guy and his crazy antics).

Thank you in advance,

Mike and Levi

Training with Mo by Martha Greenlee. Mo uses West methods of training and is well known for his success. If you are on Facebook, you can also join his group, Steady with Style and get help straight from him and several others that are familiar with his methods.

Not a book but a fabulous DVD series that takes you thru each step from the start to finished dog if that is your desire. Perfection kennels "Perfect Start" and "Perfect Finish" . Get one at a time or the whole set. Probably the most complete and comprehesive training program step by step that I've seen on DVD. What's nice about this series is that it is broken up in sections so you can stop and work that section then continue on to the next phase. Also what I like and haven't seen on any other video is the trainers use of the e-collar when training steadiness. You get on screen displays showing exactly when he is giving stimulation and when he's not for corrections. As we all know timing is everything....

Not cheap but well worth the price. http://www.gundogsupply.com/pestpef...MIsaC8q9iA2QIVz7XACh0S3whrEAAYASAAEgLHRfD_BwE

Last edited:
And birdshooter's recommendation would be my first recommendation. As far as methods in a book, Training with Mo. When it comes to how I do things, Perfect Start/Perfect Finish is a lot closer and the best DVD series available by far.

Training with Mo by Martha Greenlee. Mo uses West methods of training and is well known for his success. If you are on Facebook, you can also join his group, Steady with Style and get help straight from him and several others that are familiar with his methods.

i am going this route with my new pup this spring........great read and remember, go slow.

Back