Boat retrieve

Upland4Ever

So my chocolate lab has always done well waterfowl hunting and in any situation. Today we were hunting from a boat and he wouldn't jump from the boat and when I got him in the water he wouldn't go on line. Any suggestions? Should I put him on a platteform outside the boat, why would he just stop to retrieve. He's very well taking care of and I work with him 3 to 4 times a week. It strikes me very odd and concerned. He's retrieved plenty of Quail pheasant, ducks and geese, so I was hard on him he has already given more then life its self. Just threw me for a huge loop. Input please I will very much take it. Thanks

I'd say you should go out with ONE buddy to hunt. Spend the whole time handling the dog, and let your buddy shoot. With experience he may improve. Multiple times out would be best. If that doesn't work, try the platform... but that would require more conditioning.

Is he allergic to the cold. Ive seen a force fetched lab that wouldn't retrieve in cold water. I think the trainers timing screwed him up. one the best trainers around,,,, but I think he messed that one up. Save the training for warm water.

really?

Has he made water retrieves from the blind? Going from land to water? Ive only trained two labs for people. Never have had my own. But the ones I trained, I couldnt keep them in the boat! One tipped me in a two man kayak twice before I got him to level out and jump to the water instead of taking the two steps in the boat before jumping. Will he jump off a dock?

My (last) dog used to make a very ungraceful exit out of the boat (off the middle bench seat). One day it was really cold and I used a "sham-wow" towel to dry her a bit when she came back. I spread it out on that seat and it froze to it. Holy smokes - when she had that grip to launch herself she was landing 5 feet out without banging her knees. I now have a piece of indoor outdoor carpet runner carpet-glued to the top of that seat where she launches. Haven't hunted my new pup out of the boat, but she launches out of it like a champ with that grip. So if the dog has a slippery launching pad, try something a little grippier for him, in addition to what others have suggested in terms of training and baby-steps. With this pup I started out with teh boat in ankle deep water over soft sand. Off the seat, into the water, up the platform, off the seat, into the water, up the platform. Repeat deeper, deeper, deeper etc...
Cheers,
-Dave

Back