board in training ??

mmelton

Will have a new pup some time in September. I have a professional trainer only 5 miles down the road from me who I have stopped in to talk to. I will also go to see him work with some dogs as much as I can the next couple of months. He has a board in program that goes for 10 to 12 weeks and will produce a started dog. Sounds like the dog will be started in pointing, force fetch and search as well as walking at heal and E collar conditioned. Cost in 175.00 per week is this normal or too high ????

He says he would like for me to stay away the first two to three weeks and after that come as much as I can so he can train me on how to work the dog. This all sounds good to me and the fact that hes so close to the house is great too. He does offer other training for a lesser rate and the dog could stay at home with me and we could stop in to get help from him a couple days a week but says training would take much longer because everyday away from his place the dog would go backwards a little bit.

What do you guys think ??

I would tell you the same thing. I know lots of trainers who get paid, and we train ourselves in groups with some. Rate is on the higher end so he best be good. I know most to be 5-700 per month. But that can depend on if it is all inclusive. Birds, shells so on. But what he told you is in the norm. If you don't know what your doing you will be much happier in the long run with your bird dog. People also will have to learn as he said, and you will still have to mold him or her to your home lifestyle. Trainers do some obedience work, but they mainly teach your dog to be a team hunting partner. So off the couch and potty training are still the owners job, LOL. Good luck

I have sent a few dogs away for training. Best thing I ever did for them. My skills are limited. the first dog the trainer asked me to stay away for the first month. I showed up but was away from the dog so he could show me her progress. After she was trained then the best money spent was teaching me how to not let all the training go to waste because I didn't understand how to command the dog. Good training is expensive, but well worth the money considering you will keep the dog for 10 plus years! Some guys will work with you if you are willing to come and help throw dummies, and help train other dogs. Might not pay off on this dog, but could for future dogs.

That sounds about the going rate.My ESS is going to a trainer for the month of august and the price is $700 which includes room & board & a minimum of 25 birds (Pheasant & Chuckar) shot over him.I can come and watch anytime I want,just call ahead.I also can come and hunt for a year on his property paying only for the birds.

Last edited:
That sounds about the going rate.My ESS is going to a trainer for the month of august and the price is $700 which includes room & board & a minimum of 25 birds (Pheasant & Chuckar) shot over him.I can come and watch anytime I want,just call ahead.I also can come and hunt for a year on his property paying only for the birds.

Where ya sending him??

Goldenboy, spot on in many spend more on a car that lasts a few to 5 years... Yet we squabble over a couple grand on a 10-15 year investment.:D human nature I guess. Not saying that's what your doing here, just people in general. Me, I say buy a beater car and a Porsche hunting dog.:thumbsup:

Where ya sending him??

Goldenboy, spot on in many spend more on a car that lasts a few to 5 years... Yet we squabble over a couple grand on a 10-15 year investment.:D human nature I guess. Not saying that's what your doing here, just people in general. Me, I say buy a beater car and a Porsche hunting dog.:thumbsup:

I'm sending him to Steve Pappas.His Training/kennel buisness is called Bird Crazy Gun Dogs. birdcrazygundogs.com

Glad you are l looking around. But you probably need to find someonewho has experience with Munsterlanders. Handling them like a pointer or GSP arent going to give you the best results. Just the facts. You check cord these dogs and you are going to see it in their attitudes and their tails. I am hoping Kevin has told you this.

best is what you can do on your own. Launcher and a ton of pigeons. Cant make a bird dog without birds and cant be afraid to spend. Take the money for the trainer and buy birds. This is a no brainer.

training

Guy starts with pigeons and then onto chuckar's and finally pheasants pretty sure he uses ducks for water work also.

Says he did train one SM a few years back and It was different than training other dogs he has worked with says the dog really liked to track nose down more than other dogs and that caused him to bump birds or try to point a little too close. Also said the dog's tail was flagging during point. He said the dog still turned out to be a really good dog. Just noticed it was a little different than some other dogs he has trained.

I hunted over a Lab he trained last year that was a great dog. Seems like he worked with more versatile dogs than anything but will to retrievers too

I have not been out to see training yet because its our super busy season at work right now.

Name of the place is Von Weider Kennels and Upland Meadows

Be proactive. Ask exactly what to expect when he is done. I am skeptical with just one Munster under his belt. Actually, ask if you can speak to the owners of that dog.

Ok I will try to find out who had the other dog. He did say the dogs name was skipper and I think it cam from the east side of the country thats about all I know.

In your opinion whats the big differance in training lets say a visla or GSP or Griffion or GWP from a SM It cant be all that much of a differance. I'm thinking a good pro trainer can make almost any dog that has a good noise for birds and a huge desire to hunt into a good dog.

give me some more details of what you have found to be differant from other breeds when it comes to training

Back